Simon Fraser Bridge Rehabilitation Project
This project is to replace the deck and rehabilitate the sub-deck of the southbound Simon Fraser Bridge on Highway 97 in Prince George, and to replace the north abutment to improve the current underpass height restrictions, so taller transport trucks can pass underneath on Queensway/Ferry Avenue.
The original Simon Fraser Bridge was built in 1963 and is still the main north/south route through Prince George. In 2009, the bridge was “twinned,” with the completion of an adjacent northbound two-lane bridge, which brought crossing to four-lane capacity. This project will extend the life and improve the driveability of the older bridge through this busy route.
Other works include replacing the existing railings on both sides of the bridge with crash tested bridge barriers, and wider shoulders.
For the duration of the project, southbound traffic will merge from two-lanes to one and cross using the newer northbound bridge. This means the crossing will be reduced to 2-lane traffic instead of 4. This arrangement will be in place until fall 2023.
Drivers are advised that starting Saturday, March 25, 2023, at 5:30 a.m., the section of Ferry Avenue/Queensway from Clapperton Street to Moyie Street will be closed for 24 hours to begin work on replacing a section of the southbound bridge. The road will reopen at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 26.
Drivers can also expect short stretches of single-lane alternating traffic in this same section on Ferry Avenue/Queensway from March to May 2023.
Detours will be available for all regular and commercial traffic using Ferry Avenue/Queensway or the Queensway exit from Highway 97:
- Eastbound Ferry Avenue/Queensway traffic should detour around the closed section via Highway 16.
- Westbound Ferry Avenue/Queensway traffic will be diverted onto Highway 97 North just past Moyie Street.
- Northbound Highway 97 traffic will not be able to turn right onto Ferry Avenue at the Queensway exit. Drivers should detour by turning left at the Queensway exit onto Queensway.
- Southbound Highway 97 traffic will not be able to turn left onto Queensway at the Queensway exit. Drivers should detour by turning left at the Highway 16/97 intersection onto Highway 16.
The total project budget for this work is $20.5 million, and the Province has awarded the contract to Ruskin Construction Ltd., based in Prince George.
Beginning March 14, 2023, work resumed on the project following a winter 2022 construction shutdown. The project is expected to be completed in Fall 2023.
- Full deck replacement and strengthening of the truss
- Replacement of the north abutment to improve the current underpass height restrictions
- Replacement of the railing on both sides of the bridge for improved safety
- Adjustments to the deck configuration to increase the width of the traveling lanes