Personal Education Number (PEN) information for administrators
Visit PEN Services to get your personal education number, or update your personal information (name, gender or date of birth).
The Personal Education Number (PEN) is a nine-digit number assigned to each student enrolled or registered with any; B.C. Early Learning (Strong Start program), Public or Independent school, B.C. Certified Offshore School, Yukon School, or public Post-Secondary Institution.
Last updated: September 11, 2020
Once issued, the PEN follows the student through their B.C. education path from Early Learning, through K-12 and post-secondary enrollment. This number is used for multiple purposes including; the distribution of funding to schools, transition analysis between schools, districts and post-secondary education, exams and student reporting.
Help with PEN web
Below you will find a selection of guides to help you through various aspects of using the PEN Web. For detailed instructions please view our step-by-step guide.
- Step-by-step instructions for using the PEN web application (PDF)
- PEN Activity Report (PDF)
- Data Entry Guidelines and Acceptable Documentation
- Downloading your return files from the web
- Query the PEN Web system for an existing PEN
- Requesting PENs Online for new students
- Request Return Files
- Uploading a PEN request file
For additional assistance contact the PEN Coordinator.