District/Authority Scholarships allocations and reporting: information for administrators
Each year, 5,500 District/Authority scholarships are proportionally distributed across school districts, as well as the independent school system through the Federation of Independent School Associations (FISA), based on September 30th Grade 12 enrolments.
The District/Authority scholarship recognizes high school graduates who have demonstrated excellence in one of seven areas of achievement.
Last updated: May 03, 2021
On this page:
- Key dates
- Sample application package
- Reporting conditional recipients
The ministry sets core eligibility requirements and general guidelines; local scholarship committees determine awarding criteria and select their conditional recipients.
Students who are selected by their district/authority as conditional recipients of the scholarship must satisfy the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher.
- Meet core eligibility requirements
- Fulfill the graduation requirements of either the B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) or the B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood)
- Meet criteria determined by the student’s local scholarship committee, including demonstration of outstanding achievement in one of the areas listed within the awarding guidelines below
Confirmed recipients receive a $1,250 scholarship voucher. They can use this voucher to be reimbursed by the ministry for tuition paid at a post-secondary institution that is designated by the Province of B.C. (i.e., approved for Canada Student Loans) or a program provider that is approved by the Industry Training Authority.
Students have five years to redeem their District/Authority scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- June 30: lists of conditional recipients due to Ministry of Education and Child Care
- September: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- November: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Districts and FISA must submit their lists of conditional recipients to the ministry annually by June 30.
Instructions for how to report students can be found in the PDF document below, including an (optional) tip for how to export student data from MyEducation BC.