Set up Your New Employee
Find tips and resources that help you welcome and support a new employee.
Prepare early for a new employee to start work!
Before the confirmation letter is sent:
- If the person is new to government, ensure they have provided their Social Insurance Number and date of birth when prompted by the Recruitment Management System (RMS)
- If they have not provided this information or if you have not used the RMS to post the position, submit the information to AskMyHR with the requisition number or a copy of your offer letter
After the confirmation letter has been sent:
- Use the new employee checklist to ensure the new employee's documentation is completed correctly. If you have done your hiring through Hiring Services, this documentation will be done on your behalf
- Submit an online Time and Leave setup form
- Arrange for appropriate equipment and software access (for example, workstation, phone, security pass, hardware and software). Contact your ministry i-store facilities representative (if applicable)
- Announce your new hire to staff
- Prepare ministry-specific orientation material
To view your new employee's ID status in PeopleSoft, go to the Main Menu, select Manager Self Service, then Job & Personal Information and Manager Selection.
Is your new employee returning from retirement or transferring from one department to another? Check your ministry specific guidelines or contact AskMyHR for information specific to those situations.
The final step in the hiring process is the probationary period.