Employee Exit Checklist

When a BC Public Service employee retires, moves to another ministry, or leaves the public service, several general administrative items require a supervisor's attention.

These lists aren't exhaustive and it's up to each supervisor to customize a checklist that suits their ministry's specific needs.

Letter of Resignation or Termination

For employees who are retiring, a resignation letter isn't required. The retiring employee should contact AskMyHR to request a Paid Absence Prior to Retirement (PAPR) form to be completed. Submit a service request using the category Myself (or) My Team/Organization > Leaving the Public Service > Retirement.

If an employee is leaving the public service, submit the resignation letter or termination information to AskMyHR.Submit a service request using the category Myself (or) My Team/Organization > Leaving the Public Service > Resignation.

Advances, Scholarships & Credit Cards

An employee may owe outstanding amounts for advances received. Under those circumstances, you must document the owed amount and the type of advance. Cancel any corporate credit and travel cards in the employee's name.


  • Temporary travel advance
  • Relocation assistance
  • Petty cash advance
  • Bank of Montreal corporate travel card
  • Bank of Montreal purchasing card
  • Bank of Montreal business transaction account
  • BC Ferries travel card
  • Pacific Leaders Scholarship

Ministry Property

An employee may have ministry-owned property; these items must also be returned.


  • Annual bus pass (must be returned to the payroll office)
  • Keys (to building, desk, bike, facilities, etc.)
  • Building access card
  • Ministry ID card
  • Taxi credit card/voucher book
  • Mobile communication device (cellphones, tablets)
  • Mobile IT device (laptop, USB keys, iPad)
  • Library books
  • Parking pass
  • Tools
  • Office equipment at home (modem, ministry provided phone line, computer, fax, printer, software)

Computer Systems

Identify systems the employee currently has access to and provide Shared Services BC (SSBC) with the user IDs and the user's access termination date.


  • Email
  • IDIR
  • CAS
  • Offsite records access (government intellectual property, client information)
  • MVS
  • PeopleSoft
  • Span Dial/VPN/DTS
  • Blackberry access
  • Ministry systems
  • SharePoint sites
  • Privileged accounts

Employee Self Service

Once an employee leaves the BC Public Service, they will no longer have access to Employee Self Service. Employees may wish to keep copies of the following documents:

  • Pay stubs
  • Electronic copies of T4 forms

If an employee requires a copy of these documents or other personnel records after leaving the BC Public Service, they will need to submit a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to request the documents.

Visit the FOI request website for information on how to submit a personal FOI request.