BC Teachers' Council
Under the Teachers Act, the BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for:
- Setting standards for teachers and educators in B.C., including education, competence and professional conduct requirements
- Setting standards for post-secondary teacher education programs
- Reviewing and approving post-secondary teacher education programs
The BCTC has 16 members.
Appointments usually happen in April each year. Elections are held every three years. The next election is in the spring of 2021.
The BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for establishing the standards for certification – the requirements that must be met before a person can be certified as a teacher in B.C.
New certification standards have been adopted and approved effective November 22, 2019. These Certification Standards replace the former standards, which were Bylaw 2 and Policy P2. Most of the provisions in the Certification Standards are substantially the same, but some standards have been revised, deleted or replaced.
The Certification Standards apply to evaluation of all applications received after November 22, 2019. The Certification Standards will also apply to any applications received before November 22, 2019, on which a decision has not yet been made, except when the application of a provision of the Bylaw or Policy would result in a more favourable decision to the applicant than the relevant provision in the current Certification Standards. In that case, the provision from the Bylaw or Policy will be applied, so that an applicant will receive the benefit of the more favourable provision that was in effect at the time of application.
The BCTC sets the professional standards for certified educators and has revised the Standards for B.C. Educators based on feedback from certificate holders, teacher candidates, education partners, students, parents, and the public.
The BCTC reviews and approves teacher education programs at B.C. post-secondary institutions to ensure that they will produce graduates that meet the standards for educators in B.C. The BCTC follows a framework that guides the review and approval process.
The BC Teachers' Council Meeting Rules (PDF) promote principles of fairness, equality and common sense. They help the BCTC:
- Facilitate consensus building and knowledge-based decision making
- Meet its legal mandate and work plan
- Regulate the teaching profession in the public interest
Presenting at a meeting: Review the BCTC Meeting Rules (PDF) - specifically, the section called "Input to the BCTC." Individuals from the public will be invited to present during the "Comment Period."
Visitor protocol: All BC Teachers' Council meetings are open to the public. Meeting minutes reflect the names of all attendees. To attend a meeting, complete the Visitor Reservation Form.
Meetings are held at the Ministry of Education, #400-2025 W Broadway, Vancouver. Anyone who attends must follow the rules otherwise they may be asked to leave.
When you arrive, wait in the reception area until you're escorted to the meeting room. You will receive directions to the public washroom. Do not go into other areas. Turn off mobile devices.
Agendas & Minutes
- Agenda – Jun 10-11, 2020 (to be posted)
- Minutes – Feb 27-28, 2020 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 10-11, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jun 6-7, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 14-15, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 15-16, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – June 12-13, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Mar 15, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 8-9, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 5-6, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Apr 12-13, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 2-3, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Presentations to the Council – Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – May 25-26, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – Apr 28-29, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jan 21-22, 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2018-2019 (PDF, 9.7MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2017-2018 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2016-2017 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Executive Summary 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2015-2016 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Results – BC Teacher Education Program Graduate Report 2015 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2014-2015 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2013-2014 (PDF, 4MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2012-2013 (PDF, 1.8MB)