BC Teachers' Council
Under the Teachers Act, the BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for:
- Setting standards for applicants and educators in B.C., including education, competence and professional conduct requirements
- Setting standards for post-secondary teacher education programs
- Reviewing and approving post-secondary teacher education programs
The BCTC has 16 members.
Appointments usually happen in April each year. Elections are held every three years. The next election is in the spring of 2021.
The BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for establishing the standards for certification – the requirements that must be met before a person can be certified as a teacher in B.C.
The Certification Standards were adopted and approved effective November 22, 2019. The Certification Standards replace the former standards, which were Bylaw 2 and Policy P2. Evaluation decisions on applications for teacher certification made prior to November 22, 2019 were based on Bylaw 2 and Policy P2.
The BCTC sets the professional standards for certified educators and has revised the Standards for B.C. Educators based on feedback from certificate holders, teacher candidates, education partners, students, parents, and the public.
The BCTC reviews and approves teacher education programs at B.C. post-secondary institutions to ensure that they will produce graduates that meet the standards for educators in B.C. The BCTC follows a framework that guides the review and approval process.
The BC Teachers' Council Meeting Rules (PDF) promote principles of fairness, equality and common sense. They help the BCTC:
- Facilitate consensus building and knowledge-based decision making
- Meet its legal mandate and work plan
- Regulate the teaching profession in the public interest
Presenting at a meeting: Review the BCTC Meeting Rules (PDF) - specifically, the section called "Input to the BCTC." Individuals from the public will be invited to present during the "Comment Period."
Visitor protocol: All BC Teachers' Council meetings are open to the public. Meeting minutes show the names of everyone who attends.
Meetings are held at the Ministry of Education, #400-2025 W Broadway, Vancouver. When you arrive, wait in the reception area until you're escorted to the meeting room. You will receive directions to the public washroom. Do not go into other areas. Turn off mobile devices. You may be asked to leave if you don't follow the rules.
Currently, meetings are being held by virtual video conference.
To register to attend a meeting, email BCTC@gov.bc.ca. Include in your email:
- The date(s) of the upcoming meeting you want to attend
- Your given name and surname
- Your telephone number (including the area code)
- Your organization
We will contact you with instructions on how to access the virtual meeting. If you need to cancel your meeting reservation, email BCTC@gov.bc.ca.
The information is collected by the Ministry of Education under section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information will be used to confirm your registration, provide you with instructions for accessing a meeting, and show on the meeting minutes the names and organizations of everyone who attends. Should you have any questions about the collection of this personal information, please contact the Ministry of Education at BCTC@gov.bc.ca.
Agendas & Minutes
- Agenda – June 3-4 and 8-9, 2021 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 11-12 and 18-19, 2021 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 6-9, 2020 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jun 25, 2020 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jun 10-12, 2020 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 27-28, 2020 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 10-11, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jun 6-7, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 14-15, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 15-16, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – June 12-13, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Mar 15, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 8-9, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 5-6, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Apr 12-13, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Feb 2-3, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes – Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Presentations to the Council – Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – May 25-26, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – Apr 28-29, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes – Jan 21-22, 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2019-2020 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2018-2019 (PDF, 9.7MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2017-2018 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2016-2017 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Executive Summary 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2015-2016 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Results – BC Teacher Education Program Graduate Report 2015 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2014-2015 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2013-2014 (PDF, 4MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2012-2013 (PDF, 1.8MB)