BC Teachers' Council
Under the Teachers Act, the BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for:
- Setting standards for teachers and educators in B.C., including education, competence and professional conduct requirements
- Setting standards for post-secondary teacher education programs
- Reviewing and approving post-secondary teacher education programs
The BCTC has 16 members.
Appointments usually happen in April each year. Elections are held every three years. The next election is in the spring of 2021.
The BC Teachers' Council (BCTC) is responsible for establishing the standards for certification – the requirements that must be met before a person can be certified as a teacher in B.C.
The BCTC reviews and approves teacher education programs at B.C. post-secondary institutions to ensure that they will produce graduates that meet the standards for educators in B.C.
The BC Teachers' Council Meeting Rules (PDF) promote principles of fairness, equality and common sense. They help the BCTC:
- Facilitate consensus building and knowledge-based decision making
- Meet its legal mandate and work plan
- Regulate the teaching profession in the public interest
Presenting at a meeting: Review the BCTC Meeting Rules (PDF) - specifically, the section called "Input to the BCTC." Individuals from the public will be invited to present during the "Comment Period."
Visitor protocol: All BC Teachers' Council meetings are open to the public. To attend a meeting, complete the Visitor Reservation Form.
Meetings are held at the Ministry of Education, #400-2025 W Broadway, Vancouver. Anyone who attends must follow the rules otherwise they may be asked to leave.
When you arrive, wait in the reception area until you're escorted to the meeting room. You will receive directions to the public washroom. Do not go into other areas. Turn off mobile devices.
Council meetings are audio recorded and meeting minutes reflect the names of all attendees.
Agendas & Minutes
- Minutes - Feb 14-15, 2019 (PDF)
- Minutes - Oct 15-16, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes - June 12-13, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes - Mar 15, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes - Feb 8-9, 2018 (PDF)
- Minutes - Oct 5-6, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes - Apr 12-13, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes - Feb 2-3, 2017 (PDF)
- Minutes - Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Presentations to the Council - Oct 27-28, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes - May 25-26, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes - Apr 28-29, 2016 (PDF)
- Minutes - Jan 21-22, 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2017-2018 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2016-2017 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Executive Summary 2016 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2015-2016 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council New Teacher Survey Results – BC Teacher Education Program Graduate Report 2015 (PDF, 2MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2014-2015 (PDF)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2013-2014 (PDF, 4MB)
- BC Teachers' Council Annual Report 2012-2013 (PDF, 1.8MB)