Appointing a Hearing Panel
The Commissioner for Teacher Regulation appoints a disciplinary hearing panel of three members based on the following criteria:
- One person must be a BC Teachers' Federation (BCTF) member, unless no BCTF member is available
- One person must have knowledge and experience related to independent schools, if a case involves an independent school teaching certificate
Some are selected from the Disciplinary and Professional Conduct Board
There are nine members on the Board from the BC Teachers' Council, five of whom are from education partner groups other than the BC Teachers' Federation.
- Terrence Berting – Term expires April 2025
- Jatinder Kaur Bir – Term expires April 2024
- Vandy Britton – Term expires April 2024
- Carolyn Broady – Term expires April 2024
- Joseph Colistro – Term expires April 2023
- Alice Kedves – Term expires April 2024
- Lisa Marie Kishkan – Term expires April 2024
- Danielle Leah Neer - Term expires April 2024
- Cathleen Anne Tenning - Term expires April 2025
See BC Teachers’ Council members to learn more about each member.
Some are selected from a pool of pre-qualified legal/professional regulation experts
During a hearing, persons from the public share input from outside the school system. The public hearing panel pool has six members who were appointed based on the results from a public invitation for applications.
Michel Bourassa – Term expires August 2023
Michel has over 10 years of experience as litigation counsel and 25 years of experience as a judge presiding over criminal, civil and family court trials of all kinds. He has also been actively teaching for over 15 years working with experts, technicians, scientists and law enforcement professionals on how to give effective testimony. In addition, teaching advocacy skills to lawyers through the Law Society of BC Continuing Legal Education program. As Chief Judge he was responsible for the supervision, training and discipline of over 120 Justices of the Peace. Lately he has been participating on Karate BC's Disciplinary Panel.
Ariel DeJong – Term expires January 2024
Ariel is a senior partner at McCarthy Tétrault LLP in the Litigation and Insurance Coverage groups. He has experience in educational law having acted for numerous independent schools over the years. Ariel served on the Board of Directors of the Federation of Independent School Associations for British Columbia for 21 years and on the Board of Surrey Christian School for 9 years (6 as chair), He currently serves on the Board of The King’s University, where he has served as a Governor for a total of over 15 years. His daughter and son-in-law are both teachers in the Edmonton public school system.
Meg Gaily – Term expires August 2023
Meg is a lawyer at the Vancouver office of Lawson Lundell LLP, where she practices as an associate counsel with the firm's research and opinions group. For several years, Meg was legal counsel to the B.C. Court of Appeal. She has extensive experience in administrative law, both as a decision-maker and as counsel appearing before tribunals. Meg currently serves as the Vice President of the B.C. Courthouse Library Society.
Sarah R. Levine – Term expires August 2023
Sarah is a lawyer who practices in the area of estate litigation and mediation in Vancouver. She was recently Research counsel to the Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the decline of the Fraser River sockeye salmon. She is extensively involved as a volunteer in the community.
Teresa Mitchell-Banks – Term expires January 2024
Teresa has over 30 years’ experience as litigation counsel. After practising as defence counsel and a family lawyer she went to the Crown where she prosecuted on behalf of the province for 20 years focussing on commercial crime and then organized crime. Teresa then spent three years with the B.C. Securities Commission as Director of Enforcement. She is now in private practice.
Karen Nordlinger - Term expires May 2024
Karen is a family law lawyer, arbitrator and mediator. She has been engaged in the practice of family law since 1975 and as a neutral in labour arbitration since 1995. Karen has extensive experience in complex property division and disputes about support, custody and access. She is a former Bencher and Treasurer (President) of the Law Society of British Columbia. Karen is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a member of the Canadian Bar Association's Family Law Section.
Apply to be a Panel Member
Anyone who lives in B.C. can apply to be a part of the public hearing panel pool. The ministry is looking for individuals who have:
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and the protection of children
- Previous experience conducting administrative hearings or writing reasons for decisions
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of administrative law and natural justice
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Applicants must not:
- Be a current employee of the Ministry of Education
- Be elected to or be a declared candidate for public office in the provincial government or a board of education
- Be a complainant in an outstanding complaint about a teacher in B.C.
- Have been a certified teacher at any time during the last 20 years
- Consent to a criminal records check
- Provide information about any discipline or investigation about themselves from a professional body within the last 10 years
- Be willing and available to take training in administrative law and principles of natural justice, the conduct of fair hearings and evaluating evidence, decision making and writing, and the processes of the Ministry of Education
Anyone selected from the pool to serve on a hearing panel is paid approximately $600 per day of a hearing. Travel expenses for hearing panel proceedings are reimbursed according to provincial government rates.
Note: Even though many hearings are scheduled, only a few actually proceed.
If you are interested, send your resume and current contact information (including your email address) by:
Use the subject line “Hearing Panel Pool”
Mail or in-person
Ministry of Education and Child Care
400-2025 W Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6J 1Z6
Address your package to "Hearing Panel Pool"