Approved teacher education programs
Teacher education programs at B.C. universities are one to two years long. Course work and practicum experience focus on education, competence and professional conduct standards for educators in B.C.
Last updated: April 11, 2022
On this page:
Check with each institution to find out more about admission requirements.
Interior British Columbia
The BC Teachers' Council reviews and approves teacher education programs at B.C. post-secondary institutions to ensure that they will produce graduates that meet the standards for educators in B.C.
Framework for program approval and review
Post-secondary institutions and the BC Teachers’ Council use a framework that outlines the processes involved in the review and approval of a teacher education program.
- Teacher Education Program Approval & Review Framework (PDF)
- Process A – New Institution Teacher Education Program Approval (PDF)
- Process B – Changes to an Existing Teacher Education Program Approval (PDF)
- Process C – Ongoing Structured Dialogue (PDF)
- Process D – Maintenance Review (PDF)
- Process E – Exceptional Concerns Protocol (PDF)
The following materials guide approved teacher education programs, and post-secondary institutions seeking approval of a program, through the processes outlined in the Teacher Education Program Approval & Review Framework.
- Teacher Education Program Approval & Review Implementation Guide (PDF)
- Program Assessment Team (PAT) Orientation Guide (PDF, 1.16MB)
- Process A New program application form (PDF, 2MB)
- Process C Structured dialogue report to the BCTC form (PDF)
- Process D PAT report template sample (PDF)
- Process D Program structure template form (PDF)
- Process D TEP self-study template sample (PDF)