- Funding Information
- Emissions Reduction Initiatives
- Climate Risk Management for the Health Sector
- Resilient Design Guidelines
- Annual Public Sector Climate Leadership Symposium
Carbon Neutral Capital Program
The Carbon Neutral Capital Program helps fund capital investments in public sector facilities to reduce energy costs and lower carbon emissions.
2016 BC Funding Guide
The Community Energy Association’s guide to funding for B.C. local governments.
Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program
Information on new funding, training opportunities and educational programs for municipalities.
Municipal Asset Management Program
This program offers training and funding, and enables knowledge sharing to help communities across Canada make informed infrastructure investment decisions based on sound asset management practices.
Federal Funding, Grants and Incentives
The Federal Government of Canada manages several funding, grants and incentive programs to encourage research, development and demonstration of energy and related solutions in Canada.
Green purchasing guidelines to help reduce operational greenhouse gas emissions.
Low Carbon Building Materials
Learn about the use of low carbon building materials in public sector buildings and the opportunity to earn LEED v4 credits.
Electric Vehicle Charging Station Corporate Supply Arrangement
Information on a corporate supply arrangement that allows the provincial public sector, First Nations, and local governments to purchase vehicle charging stations directly from suppliers, often with favourable pricing.
Alternatives to Business Travel
Information on how videoconferencing and other workstation tools can significantly cut travel and overtime costs, transit time and emissions.
NRCan Dollars to Sense Energy Management Workshops
Information on how improved energy management and good up-front planning and design of new buildings can reduce infrastructure-related greenhouse gases–which make up three-quarters of the public sector’s overall emissions.
Climate Impacts on Health Fact Sheets
A series of fact sheets examining climate impacts and adaptation opportunities in the health sector:
- Overview (PDF, 1 MB)
- Facilities (PDF, 803 KB)
- Communities (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Public Health (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Front-Line Health Care (PDF, 967 KB)
Reports and Tools
This report seeks to understand how climate change will pose a risk to health facility operations in order to ensure high levels of care, minimize cascading impacts on health services, and control operational over-runs.
The Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care enables the health care sector to lead the integration of environmentally responsible practices into the delivery of health care.
The Public Health Agency aims to help Canadians understand how the environment can impact health, and how we can all work together to protect ourselves, our families and our communities.
This web-based toolkit includes a Best Practices document, vulnerability assessment framework for medical facilities and additional resources that encourage practical steps for building resilience.
The Willamette Partnership and Oregon Public Health Institute built the Green Infrastructure and Health Guide to help local government, communities, and health care organizations connect green infrastructure and public health in new ways.
The Climate Lens has two components: the greenhouse gas mitigation assessment, which will measure the anticipated emissions impact of an infrastructure project, and the climate change resilience assessment, which will employ a risk management approach to anticipate, prevent, withstand, respond to, and recover from a climate change related disruption or impact.
This Technical Circular provides direction to the transportation community to consider future climate in highway infrastructure.
Offsetting is a key component of B.C.’s carbon neutral government program.
Current infrastructure and technology make it impossible to completely eliminate GHGs. But by investing in B.C.-based offset projects, public sector organizations can reduce their GHGs to net-zero, driving an overall reduction in provincial emissions.
At the same time, revenues generated by offset projects support B.C.’s transition to a low-carbon economy, encouraging the development of innovative clean technology, renewable energy and green jobs.
Find out more about B.C.’s offset portfolio.
A wide range of information and real-world experience in reducing emissions and adapting to climate change.
Plenary Session 1 – CleanBC Commitments: Emissions Reduction and Climate Preparedness
Chris Koski & Tina Neale, Climate Action Secretariat
Plenary Session 2 – Buildings, Fleet and Adaptation Policy Options
Erik Kaye, Julia Berry & Natasha Staffeldt-Jost, Climate Action Secretariat
Plenary Session 3 – Clean Government Reporting Tool
Darryn Yakelashek, Climate Action Secretariat & Trina Kennedy, Natural Resources Canada
Plenary Session 4 – Designing Future Climates
Designing for Future Climate – Kari Tyler & Trevor Murdock, Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
Mobilizing Building Adaptation and Resilience – Wilma Leung, BC Housing
Designing Climate Resilient Buildings - Ralph Wells, University of British Columbia
Plenary Session 5 – Collaborative Climate Vulnerability Assessments
Moving Toward Climate Resilience – Angie Woo, Fraser Health Authority
HealthADAPT Climate Change and health Adaptation – Craig Brown, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
Mapping spatial patterns in vulnerability to climate change related health hazards – Dr. James Lu, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
IH’s Approach to a Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment – Tanja Stockman, Interior Health Authority
Passive House on Campus – Dr. David Claus, University of Northern British Columbia
Buildings in Healthcare – Alex Hutton, Provincial Health Services Authority
Greening Building Operations – Ryan Galloway, Interior Health
Main Session 2 – Fleet Electrification and EV Charging Stations – Part 1
BCIT: Overview of Research Projects: Microgrid, Remote Solar PVs, Streetlight Charging Stations
Joey Dabell,Clay Howey & Kelly Carmichael, BCIT
Fleet Electrification: Infrastructure and Policy
Evan Dacey, City of Vancouver
Life Cycle Analysis: Electric and ICE Vehicles – Balpreet Kukreja, City of Vancouver
Main Session 2 – Tales from the Trenches: Fleet Electrification – Part 2
Best Practices for EV Planning and Infrastructure – Jason Scultety, BC Hydro
Fleet Electrification Business Case – Patrick Breuer, Fraser Basin Council
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations – Stef Jones, Ministry of Citizens’ Services
Climate Data for Energy Efficient Buildings - Kari Tyler & Trevor Murdock, Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
Greening Your School (District) – Luke Smeaton, School District 44
Castles & Cathedrals (greening our school) – Maria Bremner, Royal Roads University
Main Room Session
Policy Engagement – Natasha Staffeld-Jost, Erik Kaye & Julia Berry, Climate Action Secretariat
Note: There were no symposia events in calendar year 2018
- CleanBC and Public Sector Leadership - Claudia Trudeau (PDF, 1 MB)
- Day 2 Introduction - Claudia Trudeau (PDF, 500 KB)
- Future Climate in BC, PCIC - Kari Tyler (PDF, 5 MB)
- Working Toward a Climate resilient BC - Tina Neale (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- EfficiencyBC- Commercial, Institutional and Multi-family (CIM) Buildings - Andrew Pye (PDF, 1 MB)
- PS Leadership in Buildings - Deborah Herbert (PDF, 1 MB)
Public Sector Climate Action Commitments
Adaptation Deep Dive
- Adaptation Deep Dive - Island Health (PDF, 8MB)
- Belmont Secondary School Energy Reduction - Alex Samousevitch (PDF, 1MB)
- Energy Step Code: Building Beyond the Standard - Dave Ramslie (PDF, 2MB)
- Energy SMART Buildings - Bernie Gaudet (PDF, 1MB)
- FortisBC: Working Together Towards Innovative Energy Solutions - Jason Wolfe (PDF, 1MB)
Carbon Neutral Government Updates
Low Carbon Building Materials
- Perkins + Will - Derek Newby (PDF, 17MB)
- ContempraTM Portland Limestone Cement and its use in Lower Carbon Intensity Concrete - Ken Carussca (PDF, 3MB)
- LEED v4 and Low Carbon Materials - Kaitlyn Gillis (PDF, 5MB)
- Brock Commons Tallwood House - Angelique Pilon (PDF, 3MB)
Collaborating with Local Governments
Keynote Address: The Honourable Mary Polak, Minister of Environment
Keynote Address: Lessons in Hospital Resilience
Review of North American health care resilience initiatives and programs.
Setting the Stage: Public Sector Climate Action in BC and National Context
Overview of national and provincial commitments to climate action and the role of BC’s public sector.
A Mandate for Planning
Planning and managing for energy and environmental performance – using best practices for emission reduction planning.
- Management System Approach in Climate Action - Bernie Gaudet (PDF, 958.2 MB)
- How Are We Going to Develop a 10 Year Emissions Reductions Plan? - Deanna Fourt (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Value of Strategic Energy Management Plans - Jeff Whitson (PDF, 151.7 KB)
Key Factors in Achieving Emission Reductions
Insights from PSOs that have significantly reduced operational emissions.
- Key Factors in Achieving Emissions Reductions - Suzanne Spence (PDF, 570 KB)
- Key Factors in GHG reduction - Mauricio Acosta (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- School District 23 Sustainability Initiatives - Harold Schock (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- A Culture of Sustainability at the Liquor Distribution Branch - David McPhie (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- The Fifth Key to Success - William Demopoulos (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Resilient Low-Carbon Facilities
Strategies and tactics to lower the carbon intensity and improve the resilience of public sector facilities.
- Whole Building Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) - Blane Grann (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Green and Resilient Buildings - Thomas Mueller (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Building the Future, Net Zero and Net Ready - Brittany Coughlin (PDF, 2.7 MB)
BC’s Energy Step Code
Learn about the new Energy Step Code and BC’s transition to net-zero energy buildings.
- Energy Step Code, BCs Transition to Net Zero Energy Ready Buildings - Zachary May (PDF, 2.1 MB)
BC’s Fleet Champions Program
Supporting fleet managers in BC in their efforts towards electric vehicle uptake.
Now Wow! How?
Group activity to think strategically about climate change impacts and opportunities.
Climate Change Adaptation Panel
Hear insights about adaptation planning and risk assessment from Fraser Health, City of Vancouver, and ICLEI Canada.
- Building Adaptive and Resilient Communities (BARC) - Ewa Jackson (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- City of Vancouver, Preparing for Climate Change - Tamsin Mills (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- Healthcare Service Delivery, Extreme Weather and Climate Stressors - Angie Woo and Jackie Yip (PDF, 723.6 KB)
Trends and observations from an analysis of SMARTTool data.
An update on the status of and plans for the SMARTTool refresh as well as an overview of new functionality.
Your Carbon Neutral Government Offsets Portfolio
A brief portfolio overview followed by a presentation detailing how an industrial fuel switching offset project is planned, implemented and quantified.
- Your Carbon Neutral Government Offsets Portfolio - Chris Koski (PDF, 850.8 KB)
- Video: Canfor Fuel Switch Project Profile (from presentation above)
- Canfor Fuel Switch Projects - Michael Jordan (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- Agenda (PDF, 314 KB)
- Adaptation 101 - Kari Tyler (PDF, 781 KB)
- Passive House - Monte Paulsen (PDF, 38 MB)
- Best Practices - Suzanne Spence & Sol Reeve (PDF, 881 KB)
- Vancouver Island Health Authority: Mitigation is not Enough - Deanna Fourt (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Linking Adaptation & Emissions Reduction - Kari Tyler (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Coastal First Nations: Great Bear Rainforest Carbon Offset Project - Garry Wouters (PDF, 20.3 MB)
- Celebrating Public Sector Achievements - Suzanne Spence (PDF, 330 KB)
- University of Victoria - David Adams (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- ICBC Greenhouse Gas Operational Emissions Reductions - Jason Scultety (PDF, 851 KB)
- Climate Adaptation Planning Process a B.C. Housing - Magdalena Szpala (PDF, 635 KB)
- Opening up Adaptation - Kari Tyler & Johanna Wolf (PDF, 981 KB)
- Building Climate Resilience - Kari Tyler & Johanna Wolf (PDF, 458 KB)
- All About Biomass - Stephen Bearss (PDF, 7.7 MB)
- Climate Resilient Buildings CNG 2014 (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Climate Resilient Buildings Resources CNG 2015 (PDF, 163 KB)
- CNG Symposium Opening Remarks - Dave Aharonian (PDF, 356 KB)
- Geoexchange - Gordon Monk, BC Hydro (PDF, 421 KB)
- Geoexchange Systems - Jeff Quibell (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Revolving Funds - James Gudjonson (PDF, 78 KB)
- Solar PV Systems - Ed Knaggs (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Verification & Data Process Verification - Deloitte (PDF, 172 KB)
Carbon Neutral Government Webinars & Presentations
Valuable tips and information on becoming carbon neutral, developing Carbon Neutral Action Reports (CNARs) and taking part in the carbon neutral government program.
- Quick-Fire Introduction to CNG 2013 (PDF, 367 KB)
- In-Depth Introduction to CNG 2013 (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- In-Depth Introduction to CNG 2013 (Live Meeting Recording, 11.7 MB)
- CNAR - All you need to know! (PDF, 643 KB )
- CNAR - All you need to know! (Live Meeting Recording, 19 MB)
- QA & QC Stand up to the scrutiny of independent verification (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- QA & QC Stand up to the scrutiny of independent verification (Live Meeting Recording, 13.8 MB)
- SMARTTool Review Loading & Processes (PDF, 920 KB)
- SMARTTool Review Loading & Processes (Live Meeting Recording, 21.9 MB)
- Carbon Neutral Government and the Auditor General's Report (PPT, 3.9 MB)
- EDX Update & Next Steps (PDF, 283 KB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Presentation (PDF, 596 KB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Presentation (Live Meeting Recording, 5.5 MB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Speaking Notes (PDF, 520 KB)
- SMARTTool Review - Loading Year-End Processes (PDF, 171 KB)
- SMARTTool Review - Loading Year-End Processes (Live Meeting Recording, 31 MB)
- EDX Project - Update (PDF, 646 KB)