Carbon Neutral Capital Program
The Carbon Neutral Capital Program helps fund capital investments in public sector facilities to reduce energy costs and lower carbon emissions.
2016 BC Funding Guide
The Community Energy Association’s guide to funding for B.C. local governments.
Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program
Information on new funding, training opportunities and educational programs for municipalities.
Municipal Asset Management Program
This program offers training and funding, and enables knowledge sharing to help communities across Canada make informed infrastructure investment decisions based on sound asset management practices.
Emission Reduction Initiatives in the Public Sector
Green purchasing guidelines to help reduce operational greenhouse gas emissions.
Low Carbon Building Materials
Learn about the use of low carbon building materials in public sector buildings and the opportunity to earn LEED v4 credits.
Electric Vehicle Charging Station Corporate Supply Arrangement
Information on a corporate supply arrangement that allows the provincial public sector, First Nations, and local governments to purchase vehicle charging stations directly from suppliers, often with favourable pricing.
Alternatives to Business Travel
Information on how videoconferencing and other workstation tools can significantly cut travel and overtime costs, transit time and emissions.
NRCan Dollars to Sense Energy Management Workshops
Information on how improved energy management and good up-front planning and design of new buildings can reduce infrastructure-related greenhouse gases–which make up three-quarters of the public sector’s overall emissions.
Offsetting is a key component of B.C.’s carbon neutral government program.
Current infrastructure and technology make it impossible to completely eliminate GHGs. But by investing in B.C.-based offset projects, public sector organizations can reduce their GHGs to net-zero, driving an overall reduction in provincial emissions.
At the same time, revenues generated by offset projects support B.C.’s transition to a low-carbon economy, encouraging the development of innovative clean technology, renewable energy and green jobs.
Find out more about B.C.’s offset portfolio.
Annual Public Sector Climate Action Leadership Symposium
A wide range of information and real-world experience in reducing emissions and adapting to climate change.
Keynote Address: The Honourable Mary Polak, Minister of Environment
Keynote Address: Lessons in Hospital Resilience
Review of North American health care resilience initiatives and programs.
Setting the Stage: Public Sector Climate Action in BC and National Context
Overview of national and provincial commitments to climate action and the role of BC’s public sector.
A Mandate for Planning
Planning and managing for energy and environmental performance – using best practices for emission reduction planning.
- Management System Approach in Climate Action - Bernie Gaudet (PDF, 958.2 MB)
- How Are We Going to Develop a 10 Year Emissions Reductions Plan? - Deanna Fourt (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Value of Strategic Energy Management Plans - Jeff Whitson (PDF, 151.7 KB)
Key Factors in Achieving Emission Reductions
Insights from PSOs that have significantly reduced operational emissions.
- Key Factors in Achieving Emissions Reductions - Suzanne Spence (PDF, 570 KB)
- Key Factors in GHG reduction - Mauricio Acosta (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- School District 23 Sustainability Initiatives - Harold Schock (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- A Culture of Sustainability at the Liquor Distribution Branch - David McPhie (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- The Fifth Key to Success - William Demopoulos (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Resilient Low-Carbon Facilities
Strategies and tactics to lower the carbon intensity and improve the resilience of public sector facilities.
- Whole Building Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) - Blane Grann (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Green and Resilient Buildings - Thomas Mueller (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Building the Future, Net Zero and Net Ready - Brittany Coughlin (PDF, 2.7 MB)
BC’s Energy Step Code
Learn about the new Energy Step Code and BC’s transition to net-zero energy buildings.
- Energy Step Code, BCs Transition to Net Zero Energy Ready Buildings - Zachary May (PDF, 2.1 MB)
BC’s Fleet Champions Program
Supporting fleet managers in BC in their efforts towards electric vehicle uptake.
Now Wow! How?
Group activity to think strategically about climate change impacts and opportunities.
Climate Change Adaptation Panel
Hear insights about adaptation planning and risk assessment from Fraser Health, City of Vancouver, and ICLEI Canada.
- Building Adaptive and Resilient Communities (BARC) - Ewa Jackson (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- City of Vancouver, Preparing for Climate Change - Tamsin Mills (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- Healthcare Service Delivery, Extreme Weather and Climate Stressors - Angie Woo and Jackie Yip (PDF, 723.6 KB)
Trends and observations from an analysis of SMARTTool data.
An update on the status of and plans for the SMARTTool refresh as well as an overview of new functionality.
Your Carbon Neutral Government Offsets Portfolio
A brief portfolio overview followed by a presentation detailing how an industrial fuel switching offset project is planned, implemented and quantified.
- Your Carbon Neutral Government Offsets Portfolio - Chris Koski (PDF, 850.8 KB)
- Video: Canfor Fuel Switch Project Profile (from presentation above)
- Canfor Fuel Switch Projects - Michael Jordan (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- Agenda (PDF, 314 KB)
- Adaptation 101 - Kari Tyler (PDF, 781 KB)
- Passive House - Monte Paulsen (PDF, 38 MB)
- Best Practices - Suzanne Spence & Sol Reeve (PDF, 881 KB)
- Vancouver Island Health Authority: Mitigation is not Enough - Deanna Fourt (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Linking Adaptation & Emissions Reduction - Kari Tyler (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Coastal First Nations: Great Bear Rainforest Carbon Offset Project - Garry Wouters (PDF, 20.3 MB)
- Celebrating Public Sector Achievements - Suzanne Spence (PDF, 330 KB)
- University of Victoria - David Adams (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- ICBC Greenhouse Gas Operational Emissions Reductions - Jason Scultety (PDF, 851 KB)
- Climate Adaptation Planning Process a B.C. Housing - Magdalena Szpala (PDF, 635 KB)
- Opening up Adaptation - Kari Tyler & Johanna Wolf (PDF, 981 KB)
- Building Climate Resilience - Kari Tyler & Johanna Wolf (PDF, 458 KB)
- All About Biomass - Stephen Bearss (PDF, 7.7 MB)
- Climate Resilient Buildings CNG 2014 (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Climate Resilient Buildings Resources CNG 2015 (PDF, 163 KB)
- CNG Symposium Opening Remarks - Dave Aharonian (PDF, 356 KB)
- Geoexchange - Gordon Monk, BC Hydro (PDF, 421 KB)
- Geoexchange Systems - Jeff Quibell (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Revolving Funds - James Gudjonson (PDF, 78 KB)
- Solar PV Systems - Ed Knaggs (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Verification & Data Process Verification - Deloitte (PDF, 172 KB)
Carbon Neutral Government Webinars & Presentations
Valuable tips and information on becoming carbon neutral, developing Carbon Neutral Action Reports (CNARs) and taking part in the carbon neutral government program.
- Quick-Fire Introduction to CNG 2013 (PDF, 367 KB)
- In-Depth Introduction to CNG 2013 (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- In-Depth Introduction to CNG 2013 (Live Meeting Recording, 11.7 MB)
- CNAR - All you need to know! (PDF, 643 KB )
- CNAR - All you need to know! (Live Meeting Recording, 19 MB)
- QA & QC Stand up to the scrutiny of independent verification (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- QA & QC Stand up to the scrutiny of independent verification (Live Meeting Recording, 13.8 MB)
- SMARTTool Review Loading & Processes (PDF, 920 KB)
- SMARTTool Review Loading & Processes (Live Meeting Recording, 21.9 MB)
- Carbon Neutral Government and the Auditor General's Report (PPT, 3.9 MB)
- EDX Update & Next Steps (PDF, 283 KB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Presentation (PDF, 596 KB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Presentation (Live Meeting Recording, 5.5 MB)
- SMARTTool New Enhancements Speaking Notes (PDF, 520 KB)
- SMARTTool Review - Loading Year-End Processes (PDF, 171 KB)
- SMARTTool Review - Loading Year-End Processes (Live Meeting Recording, 31 MB)
- EDX Project - Update (PDF, 646 KB)