Resources and tools for climate preparedness
On this page
- Climate Impacts on Health fact sheets
- Preliminary Strategic Climate Risk Assessment
- GBA +, intersectionality and climate change in B.C.
- Tools and data
- Climate research and service organizations
- Videos and video series
- Preparing together: Pamphlets for building climate resilience
Climate Impacts on Health fact sheets
A series of fact sheets examining climate impacts and adaptation opportunities in the health sector.
- Overview (PDF, 1MB)
- Facilities (PDF, 803KB)
- Communities (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Public Health (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Front-Line Health Care (PDF, 967KB)
Preliminary Strategic Climate Risk Assessment
The 2019 Risk assessment increases understanding of climate-related risks in B.C. and helps government develop appropriate measures to address those risks.
- Climate Risk Assessment Framework (PDF, 16MB)
- Preliminary Strategic Climate Risk Assessment (PDF, 1MB)
- Summary of Results (PDF, 5MB)
- Climate Risk summary leaflet (PDF, 248KB)
GBA+, intersectionality and climate change impacts in B.C.
Examining how considerations of sex, gender, race, ethnicity, age, and mental or physical ability (among other identity factors) intersect to influence how different populations in B.C. are affected by climate change.
- Climate Change, Intersectionality, and GBA+ in British Columbia: Summary Report (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Social Impacts of the 2018 Grand Forks Flood (PDF, 3MB)
- Lived Experience of Extreme Heat in B.C. (PDF, 734KB)
Tools and data
- ReTooling for Climate Change
Adaptation tools and resources for B.C. local governments, First Nations and the natural resource sectors to prepare for the impacts of climate change
Tool for generating maps, plots, and data describing projected future climate conditions for regions throughout British Columbia
- PCIC data portal
Provides access to B.C. station data, high-resolution climatology and downscaled climate scenarios data collected by the Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
- BC Climate Action Toolkit
Toolkit to inspire action in B.C.'s diverse local governments to advance emission reductions and adaptation planning
- Environmental Reporting BC - Climate Change Indicators
Information on indicators including changes in river flow, sea level, temperature, precipitation and more.
Climate research and service organizations
- Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC)
A regional climate service provider that conducts quantitative studies on the impacts of climate change and climate variability in the Pacific and Yukon region. Results from this work provide regional interest holders with the information needed to develop plans for reducing the risks associated with climate change.
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions
Supporting solutions-oriented research to assist British Columbia with meeting the climate change challenge. Current initiatives include five major projects dealing with transportation, energy efficiency, forest carbon management, natural gas, and low carbon pathways.
- Adaptation Learning Network
Led by the ResiliencebyDesign Lab at Royal Roads University, the network is helping professionals in British Columbia who work at the front line of climate adaptation integrate adaptation competencies into their professional practice, through education, training and networking.
- The Fraser Basin Council
Managing the BC Regional Adaptation Collaborative (RAC) —21 collaborative projects across the province supporting decision-making on water allocation and use, forest and watershed management, flood protection and floodplain management and community planning.
Videos and video series
- BC Adapts Video Series
Video series illustrating actions B.C. communities are taking to adapt to the impacts of climate change
- Climate Insights: bite size - YouTube
Series of 13 short videos that introduce the causes of climate change, how society can adapt, and the options for reducing emissions
- Indicators of Climate Change for BC (2016 Update) Report (PDF, 4.5MB)
Updated report on key indicators of climate change in B.C.
- Sea Level Rise Adaptation Primer (PDF, 3.3MB)
Toolkit to build adaptive capacity on Canada’s south coasts
- Pan-Canadian Framework Adaptation Strategy
Preparing together: Pamphlets for building climate resilience
- For educators (PDF, 160KB)
- For professionals (PDF, 158KB)
- For businesses (PDF,159KB)
- For local government (PDF, 149KB)