Resources for Preparing and Adapting to Climate Change
Learn more about how climate change will affect British Columbia and how you can plan ahead.
- BC Adapts Video Series
Video series illustrating actions B.C. communities are taking to adapt to the impacts of climate change
- Climate Insights 101
Series of three interactive online courses that introduce the causes of climate change, how society can adapt, and the options for reducing emissions
Climate Impacts on Health Fact Sheets
A series of fact sheets examining climate impacts and adaptation opportunities in the health sector:
- Overview (PDF, 1 MB)
- Facilities (PDF, 803 KB)
- Communities (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Public Health (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Front-Line Health Care (PDF, 967 KB)
- Climate Risk Assessment Framework (PDF, 16MB)
- Preliminary Strategic Climate Risk Assessment (PDF, 1MB)
- Summary of Results (PDF, 5MB)
- Two-pager leaflet (PDF)
- ReTooling for Climate Change
Adaptation tools and resources for B.C. local governments, First Nations and the natural resource sectors to prepare for the impacts of climate change
Tool for generating maps, plots, and data describing projected future climate conditions for regions throughout British Columbia
- PCIC data portal
Provides access to B.C. station data, high-resolution climatology and downscaled climate scenarios data collected by the Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
- BC Climate Action Toolkit
Toolkit to inspire action in B.C.'s diverse local governments to advance emission reductions and adaptation planning
- Environmental Reporting BC - Climate Change Indicators
Information on indicators including changes in river flow, sea level, temperature, precipitation and more.
- Preparing for Climate Change: British Columbia's Adaptation Strategy (PDF, 894 KB)
Presents a range of actions to help B.C. adapt to climate change
- Indicators of Climate Change for BC (2016 Update) Report (PDF, 4.5 MB)
Updated report on key indicators of climate change in B.C.
- Working Group on Adaptation & Climate Resilience Final Report (PDF, 1.7 MB)
Presents a number of options that can build climate resilience in Canada, as part of a pan-Canadian approach to adaptation
- Sea Level Rise Adaptation Primer (PDF, 3.3 MB)
Toolkit to build adaptive capacity on Canada’s south coasts
Climate Research Organizations
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS)
Supporting solutions-oriented research to assist British Columbia with meeting the climate change challenge. Current initiatives include five major projects dealing with transportation, energy efficiency, forest carbon management, natural gas, and low carbon pathways.
- Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC)
A regional climate service provider that conducts quantitative studies on the impacts of climate change and climate variability in the Pacific and Yukon region. Results from this work provide regional stakeholders with the information needed to develop plans for reducing the risks associated with climate change.
- The Columbia Basin Trust
Helping communities in the Columbia Basin identify their vulnerabilities and develop adaptation plans.
- The Fraser Basin Council
Managing the BC Regional Adaptation Collaborative (RAC) —21 collaborative projects across the province supporting decision-making on water allocation and use, forest and watershed management, flood protection and floodplain management and community planning.