Public Sector Organizations & Climate Action
Our public sector is leading by example. Each year since 2010, B.C. has proudly achieved carbon neutral operations, maintaining a net impact of zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across public sector organizations (PSOs) including health authorities, school districts, universities, colleges, institutes, Crown corporations and government offices.
Going forward, new commitments will expand the focus of the public sector. PSOs will work toward accelerating emissions reductions more broadly, developing adaptation plans to prepare for climate change, and increasing the use of low-carbon and renewable materials in infrastructure.
B.C.’s legislated carbon neutral government commitment is a significant first in North America–one that’s reducing emissions, saving energy costs, and spurring the development of clean technology and new jobs. Benefits of the commitment include:
- For the 2018 reporting year, overall PSO emissions were 7.8 percent lower than they were in 2010, even as our population has grown. This translates into 63,619 tonnes - equivalent to taking about 22,700 cars off the road for one year
- For every 1 percent improvement in energy efficiency, the British Columbia public sector saves over $4 million in annual fuel costs-savings that can be reinvested into public services such as health care and education
- Emission offset projects tied to B.C.’s carbon neutral government program contributed $372.5 million to provincial GDP between 2008 and 2014
More information about carbon neutral government and related climate action leadership by PSOs can be found in the following reports:
- Carbon Neutral Government 2018 - Summary (PDF, 479 KB)
- Carbon Neutral Government 2017 - Summary (PDF, 70 KB)
- Carbon Neutral Government 2016 - Year in Review (PDF, 4 MB)
- Carbon Neutral Government 2015 - Year in Review (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Leading by Example: The First Five Years of Carbon Neutral Government in British Columbia (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Economic Analysis of British Columbia's Carbon Offset Projects (PDF, 0.5 MB)
- Climate Leadership Plan at a Glance (PDF, 195 KB)