Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office
Gov.bc.ca content is being updated to reflect the Government of B.C.’s recent change of leadership. For questions about Government of B.C. programs and services, please contact us.
The Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office (CABRO) oversees the recruitment and recommendation of candidates for appointments to all Crown corporations, agencies, boards and commissions (ABCs). CABRO develops policies to support an open, transparent and merit-based public appointment process, and helps ensure appointees receive public sector governance orientation and development resources including ethical code of conduct.
CABRO also provides oversight of Crown governance and corporate accountability, including overseeing the delivery of mandate letters, service plans and annual service plan reports for ABCs. CABRO staff establish best practices, and provide advice and recommendations for improvements to governance, accountability and performance planning by public sector organizations.
To ensure accountability to citizens, CABRO promotes best practices and guiding principles for public sector organizations, such as the taxpayer accountability principles (PDF) and the performance reporting principles for the public sector (PDF).
CABRO develops and oversees policies, best practice guidelines and processes to enhance transparency, strengthen accountability and improve the effectiveness of public sector management.
CABRO is also responsible for establishing best practice guidelines for appointees to public sector organizations and coordinating the B.C. public sector organization board appointment process. By acting as a central resource, they help raise the standards of good governance and ethical conduct for public sector organization boards.
Strategic alignment with government priorities and initiatives is critical to the success of public sector organizations. CABRO coordinates and ensures strategic alignment through the annual mandate letter, service plan and annual report processes.
CABRO provides support, guidelines and best practices to:
- Cultivate strong corporate governance
- Augment corporate policies, principles and strategic planning
- Serve as a central source of information about public sector governance, reporting and relationships with government
- Provide public sector board and executive orientation, resources and professional development
- Facilitate corporate communication and lead public sector related initiatives between ministries, central agencies, the broader public sector and independent offices of the Legislature
- Support engagement, collaboration and shared initiatives among public sector organizations
- Ensure the boards of directors of public sector organizations in B.C. are made up of the most qualified and dedicated people our province has to offer
- Follow an open, consistent, diverse, merit-based and transparent public appointment process
- Ensure appointees receive basic orientation that focuses on the ethical code of conduct in a public sector governance setting