Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office
The Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office (CABRO) oversees the recruitment and recommendation of candidates for appointments to all Crown corporations, agencies, boards and commissions (ABCs). CABRO develops policies to support an open, transparent and merit-based public appointment process, and helps ensure appointees receive public sector governance orientation and development resources including ethical code of conduct.
CABRO also provides oversight of Crown governance and corporate accountability, including overseeing the delivery of mandate letters, service plans and annual service plan reports for ABCs. CABRO staff establish best practices, and provide advice and recommendations for improvements to governance, accountability and performance planning by public sector organizations.
Foundational Training for BC Public Sector Appointees
On May 23, 2019, the Province hosted a day of training for approximately 300 appointees to British Columbia’s public sector agencies, boards, commissions and tribunals.
Governing in the Public Interest manuals in four core areas were developed for the day of training and can be accessed here:
- Module 1 - Governing in the Public Interest (PDF)
- Module 2 - Financial Governance (PDF)
- Module 3 - Risk Management (PDF)
- Module 4 - Human Resources (PDF)
On-line modules for these four core areas are currently under development and will be made available shortly.
Strategic alignment with government priorities and initiatives is critical to the success of public sector organizations. CABRO coordinates and ensures strategic alignment through the annual mandate letter, service plan and annual report processes.
Corporate Governance (Governing in the Public Interest)
CABRO provides support, guidelines and best practices to:
- Cultivate strong citizen centered governance
- Augment public sector organization governance, policies, principles and strategic planning
- Serve as a central source of information about public sector governance, reporting and relationships with government
- Provide public sector board and executive orientation, resources and professional development
- Facilitate inter-ministry communication and lead public sector related initiatives between ministries, central agencies, the broader public sector and independent offices of the Legislature
- Support engagement, collaboration and shared initiatives among public sector organizations
- Ensure boards of directors of public sector organizations in B.C. are:
- strong and reflect the diversity of our province
- composed of qualified and dedicated people
To ensure accountability to citizens, CABRO promotes best practices and guiding principles for public sector organizations, including performance reporting principles for the public sector (PDF).
CABRO develops and oversees policies, best practice guidelines and processes to enhance transparency, strengthen accountability and improve the effectiveness of public sector management.
CABRO is also responsible for establishing best practice guidelines for appointees to public sector organizations and coordinating the B.C. public sector organization board appointment process. By acting as a central resource, they help raise the standards of good governance and ethical conduct for public sector organization boards.