Office of the Chief Information Officer
The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) leads strategy, policy and standards for telecommunications, information technology, IT security and the management of the IM/IT investment portfolio for the Province.
The OCIO is accountable for the operation of a broad government technology infrastructure as a key enabler in support of business transformation for Government, Broader Public Sector organizations and through participation inter-jurisdictionally on initiatives to evolve technology and business.
Role of the Government Chief Information Officer
The Government Chief Information Officer (GCIO) is a senior executive who creates IT strategies and policies and leads the OCIO. CJ Ritchie is the GCIO for the province of British Columbia.
The GCIO has a leadership role in re-engineering government’s business processes and the underpinning IT infrastructures to increase the productive, efficient and valuable use of information.
The GCIO also:
- Manages the IM/IT Capital Investment Program
- Ensures the security of government’s information is maintained and protected
- Helps government accomplish its goals by using information technology to improve operations and services or to lower costs
- Provides the enabling strategies, policies and standards, and technology services to support the business transformation of government
Role of Deputy Ministers and the Ministry Chief Information Officers
While the OCIO is accountable for the strategic direction of IT across government, Deputy Ministers are accountable for ensuring that their ministries adhere to IT governance directions provided by the OCIO. This responsibility is usually delegated to a Ministry Chief Information Officer (MCIO). Each ministry has an MCIO, although some MCIOs have responsibility for more than one ministry. Generally, the MCIO:
- Reports to their respective ministry assistant deputy minister (ADM) accountable for IT, or directly to their Deputy Minister in the case of ADM-level MCIOs
- Is a member of the CIO council
- Maintains accountability for all ministry business and operational IT initiatives (i.e. those which do not have cross-government implications)
- Manages ministry information and technology, and all related support activities
To contact your MCIO, please see the MCIO contact list (PDF).