Managing the Job Evaluation Process
Learn how to get a classification for a new position or request to change an existing one. This section has resources that can help you find, create, or update a job profile.
If your inquiry or request is relating to hiring, please consider our repository of pre-approved profiles in the Job Store.
Job Evaluation is a formal process used to create an internal ranking of jobs within an organization. This video helps to explain the principles of job evaluation and introduces you to our job evaluation plan. For more information, see the BC Public Service's job evaluation policy.
A classification level is determined by analyzing a job's duties in its organizational context and comparing it to negotiated benchmark jobs within the classification plan. The classification level is linked to the salary schedule for the appropriate union/Bargaining Unit.
Bargaining Unit and Schedule A positions are assigned a grid level which has a set salary negotiated between the province and the union.
Excluded Management positions are assigned a "management band.” Each band has a salary range within which the ministry determines the salary rate for the position.
If you would like your job classification reviewed, speak with your supervisor. Review requests must be initiated by an excluded manager for a position under their authority.
Job Profile Writing Guidelines
Managers have the option to prepare their own Job Profiles; guidelines and tips are located on the Job Store. You can also search the store and our inventory of pre-written and pre-classified profiles for vacant positions.
Job Store profiles cannot be used for encumbered position comparators. Job profile writing services may also be available from service operations at AskMyHR. Submit a service request using the category My Team or Organization (or) A Hiring Manager > Job Classification > Job Profile Writing.
Establish Job Classifications for New Positions Prior to Hiring
Prior to advertising or making an offer of employment, a position must be reviewed and/or have an approved classification level (see the job evaluation policy).
If the job meets one of the following criteria, then the classification is pre-approved and can be posted immediately without a review.
- Job profiles that meet the “context” criteria of a Job Store profile and have identical “accountabilities” to the Job Store version.
- Ministry-specific profiles from the Job Store which have an E-Class number (if unsure, please contact the classification coordinator).
- LSO1 and LSO2 classified jobs.
- OA6 and OA7 classified jobs.
If the job doesn't meet any of the above criteria, the position must be reviewed by Classification Services prior to beginning the hiring process.
How to Request a Review
Submit a service request through AskMyHR and attach the following:
- Request for Job Classification (DOCX, 751KB).
- The Job Profile.
- Your organization chart.
- Any additional relevant information, such as a description of changes since the last classification review, background on new programs or initiatives, project charters, or other contextual documents.
- Please ensure you have your Deputy Minister or designate's approval for the new position and/or the classification review.
If your request is for a new excluded management position, in addition to the Job Profile, you'll also need to provide us with the following:
- Job Profile for that position's supervisor.
- Organization chart (must include position numbers, job titles, classifications and current incumbents).
- A completed Exclusion Rationale (DOCX, 20KB).
When submitting an AskMyHR service request, select My Team or Organization (or) Hiring Manager > Job Classification > Classification Review.
If the request relates to the reclassification of an existing position, please include a description of what has changed with the position's accountabilities since it was last reviewed.
If the review request is for a new position, include the business unit and paylist numbers, indicate whether the position is full or part-time, and provide a completed Position Screening Designation (DOCX, 88KB).