Highway 97 at Cottonwood Hill
Open with lane closures. A historic slide reawakened in 2020 causing ground movement affecting Highway 97.
Highway 97 at Cottonwood Hill, approximately 24 km north of Quesnel
- Cracking and other surface damage has been caused by ground movement
- The pavement surface has been removed to enable better maintenance and a smoother surface
- The highway is safe for travel but has been reduced to a 30 km/hour-single lane in each direction
- Geotechnical investigations are ongoing including aerial LiDAR surveys and ground movement monitoring
- Engineering analysis of potential transportation solutions has begun, including consideration of climate-resilience requirements