Permit to Accompany Non-Resident or Non-Resident Aliens to Hunt Big Game

To hunt big game in British Columbia, non-residents and non-resident aliens are required to be accompanied by a licensed guide outfitter, assistant guide outfitter or a resident who holds a permit to accompany (PTA) a non-resident or non-resident alien to hunt big game.

As of spring 2018, you can apply for a PTA using BC Hunting Online or continue to apply in-person at a FrontCounter BC office. If you choose to submit your application online, you must have a basic BCeID. You must also have your Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) and appropriate credentials prior to submitting your application for this permit. If you are issued a PTA, you are eligible to apply for hunting licences on behalf of the non-resident/alien you will be accompanying during your hunting trip.


To apply for a PTA, the hunter must be a B.C. resident, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada, 19 years of age or older; and must have:

  • Held a B.C. resident hunting licence and a big game species licence for 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit, or

  • Have successfully completed the B.C. Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Program, and held a B.C. resident hunting licence and a big game species licence for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit.

The applicant must also meet the additional eligibility requirements:

  • Possess, or be qualified to possess, a B.C. resident hunting licence.

  • Not have already applied for or been issued a PTA during the same licence year.

A person is not eligible for a permit if:

  • A PTA has been already issued for a different time period in the same licence year that applies to the non-resident or non-resident alien whom the person wishes to accompany under the permit.

  • Either the applicant or the non-resident or non-resident alien, to whom the permit would apply, has a conviction specified under section 84 (1) (a) of the Wildlife Act, within the 5 year period immediately preceding the application for a permit, or specified under section 84 (1) (b) of the Wildlife Act or the Firearm Act within the 3 year period immediately preceding the application for a permit.

Who can you accompany?

Applicants may accompany either or both:

A non-resident – a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who

  • is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada; or,
  • has his/her sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the date of this application.

A non-resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non-resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories: father, mother, spouse, brother, sister, daughter, son, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandson, grand-daughter, grandfather, grandmother, brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

Note: "COUSIN" is not an accepted relationship

You'll be required to provide the Fish & Wildlife ID number, Last Name, First initial and relationship (if accompanying a non-resident alien) of each person being accompanied.


$55.00 Licence Fee

Fees are payable at the time of application. Applications will not be processed until the fee has been paid.

The payment can be made by one of the following payment methods:

  • Online via Credit Card (Visa, Visa-Debit, Master Card, American Express)

  • Mail Payment Cheque/Money Order - Payable to Minister of Finance

  • Cash/Debit - To be paid at one of the FrontCounter BC office locations

Credit Card payments are securely processed online in the final step of the application process. To find out more about the acceptable payment methods in each office location please visit selected FrontCounter BC location.

The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund surcharge is included in the above fee(s).

What happens after you apply?

The target time frame for issuing your permit is 30 days. Your application will not be processed until payment has been received in full.

Receiving the application

Your application will be reviewed to ensure it is complete. Your payment and documents will be entered into the appropriate systems. When necessary, you will be contacted for more information.

An application will not be accepted and processed until all required information as well as payment has been received.

Decision Making

A decision will be made on whether to issue a permit or not after a full review of your submission.

Please be advised to read the regional restrictions in the region you want to Hunt. It is advised that the Statutory Decision Makers will not approve Permit to Accompany applications for the species to which restrictions apply in the given region.  Click here for regional hunting restrictions.

Issuance of Permit

Starting spring 2018, you do not need to carry a copy of your permit while hunting; however, you must carry a valid government-issued photo ID and be able to produce your Fish & Wildlife ID number. Conservation Officers will be able to access your profile and verify your permits in the field.

If your application is approved, the permit is issued and will be available on your Fish and Wildlife profile.

For more information see the Frequently Asked Questions. For instructions on how to obtain a FWID, hunting credentials and apply for a PTA please refer to the Quick Reference Guides.