Non-Resident Hunting in B.C.

Non-resident hunters have the opportunity to get out into British Columbia’s world-renowned backcountry and enjoy the natural wonders of our province.

Non-resident hunters must be familiar with B.C. hunting laws and regulations before hunting in B.C. If you plan to hunt in B.C., review the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis.

Non-resident hunters will need a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) to apply for a non-resident or non-resident alien hunting licence and/or to buy species licences.

There is no cost to obtain a FWID. Your FWID is linked to your personal online profile, which can be updated at any time.

You can apply for your FWID and hunting credentials using the BC Hunting online service:

Sign in to BC Hunting

You will need a Basic BCeID to access the BC Hunting online service.  If you do not have a Basic BCeID,you can select Register a BCeID after clicking on the above button.

Before you hunt, make sure:

  • You have a Fish & Wildlife ID, residency credential and hunting credential if you plan to hunt small game unaccompanied
  • You have a non-resident or non-resident alien hunting licence
  • You have species licences for those species you intend to hunt
  • The species you wish to hunt are in the area you plan to hunt in
  • You have hired a guide outfitter, assistant guide outfitter or you are named on a Permit to Accompany when hunting big game

Definition of Non-Resident

Under the Wildlife Act a non-resident is a person who:

  1. Is not a B.C. resident but who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada


  1. Is not a B.C. resident, but whose only or primary residence is in Canada, and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately before making an application under the Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of the Act.

A non-resident alien means a person who is neither a B.C. resident nor a non-resident.

Types of Game

Big game includes:

  • Deer, elk, moose & caribou
  • Mountain sheep & mountain goat
  • Cougar, lynx & bobcat
  • Wolf
  • Black bear
  • Wolverine

All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt big game in the Province of British Columbia are required to be accompanied by a licenced guide outfitter, an assistant guide outfitter hired by a guide outfitter or a resident who holds a Permit to Accompany.

Small game includes:

  • Game birds
  • Fox & coyote
  • Raccoon & skunk
  • Hare

All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt small game may do so unaccompanied if they hold an unrestricted non-resident or non-resident alien licence. If you hold a restricted non-resident or non-resident alien licence, you must be accompanied by a guide outfitter or assistant guide outfitter while hunting small game as well.

Guide Outfitters

Guide outfitters employ assistant guides to assist in providing guiding services. Guide outfitters set their own guiding fees.

It is suggested that you contact several guide outfitters in the area of your choice to obtain full particulars regarding:

  • Species of game available
  • Recommended period to hunt
  • Rates
  • Services provided
  • Reservations

The assurance of a successful and enjoyable hunt is most dependent upon a clear understanding between the hunter and guide outfitter as to what each expects from the other.

A licenced guide may not have more than two hunters in the field at one time.


You can buy your non-resident or non-resident alien hunting licence and species licences online by logging into BC Hunting Online. The guide outfitter, who you have hired to guide you during your hunting activity in B.C, can also buy your licences on your behalf.

For more information, please see hunting licences & fees for non-residents and About BC Hunting Online.

It's an offence to have more than one licence and the monies for this type of error are non-refundable.

Firearm Regulations

To bring firearms into Canada for hunting purposes, non-residents from outside of the country must:

  • Be at least 18 years old

  • Declare firearms at the first point of entry into the country

To declare firearms, non-residents must fill out a firearm declaration form which must be confirmed by a Canadian customs officer.