Fish and Wildlife ID (FWID)

Fish and Wildlife ID

The Fish and Wildlife ID (FWID) is a passport to hunting services in British Columbia.

You need a FWID to apply for:

  • Hunting licences (resident, non-resident, non-resident alien, youth and initiation)
  • Fraser Valley and Gulf Islands special area licences
  • Species and upland game bird licences
  • Limited entry hunting (LEH) licences
  • Guide outfitter licences
  • Permit to accompany a non-resident or non-resident alien to hunt big game

Your FWID is a permanent number linked to your personal online profile. It replaces the old B.C. resident Hunter Number card. If you had a Hunter Number, your new FWID will be the same number with three extra digits.

Your legal name must appear on your Fish and Wildlife profile. Nicknames are not acceptable. You can make changes to your personal information at any time. If you are making a change to your name, you will be required to provide supporting documentation.

There is no Fish and Wildlife ID card. You must carry photo ID and be able to produce your FWID number while hunting in B.C.  You can print your FWID or download a copy onto your mobile device if you choose, but there is no requirement to carry this. Conservation Officers can ask you to provide photo ID and your FWID number, so they can find and view your profile on their mobile devices.

There is no cost to get a FWID.

If you have forgotten your FWID number, contact FrontCounter BC Contact Centre at 1-877-855-3222.

The old Hunter Number card looks like this: The new Fish & Wildlife ID looks like this:

Hunter Number (left) vs. Fish & Wildlife ID (right)

Angler Number

The FWID does not replace the Angler Number. Freshwater anglers will continue to use their Angler Number to purchase angling licences.

First Nations Hunters

First Nations hunters need a FWID if they wish to apply for limited entry hunting.

For more information on Fish & Wildlife ID and how to apply please see the Frequently Asked Questions and How-to Guides.