Employers and employees cannot agree to working arrangements that are for less than the minimum standards
Explain workplace standards
Employers need to clearly communicate to employees what their rights are for working in B.C. They should do so by posting and sharing the information in these documents:
Employers should also communicate the specific terms and conditions of employment in writing. A job description is not required, but it can help new employees know what is expected of them.
Do not give false information about wages or employment conditions
Employers are not allowed to misrepresent an employment offer to convince potential employees to work for them.
They also cannot pay an employee less than the wage agreed upon, even if the employee isn't performing as well as expected. In these situations, employers may choose to end employment.
Employers need to follow specific rules for hiring different types of workers
Hiring young people under the age of 15
Before you employ anyone under the age of 15, there are special rules you must follow.
Using an employment agency to hire
Hiring domestic workers
To hire a domestic worker you need to:
- Have a written employment agreement
- Register with the Employment Standards Branch within 30 days of the worker starting
Find out how to meet the requirements for hiring domestic workers.
Hiring farm labour workers
Farm labour contractors provide workers to plant, cultivate or harvest agricultural products. Even though they may work for different farms, the workers are the employees of the farm labour contractor.
Hiring temporary foreign workers
Starting in the fall 2019, employers who want to hire temporary foreign workers will need to be registered with the provincial government.
Find out what you can do
If you're having issues at work, find out what you can do:
Employment Standards Act
- Section 6 Informing employees of their rights
- Section 8 No False Representations
- Section 9 Hiring children
- Section 10 No charge for hiring or providing information
- Section 11 No fees to other persons
- Section 14 Written employment contract required for domestics
- Section 15 Register of employees working in residences