Employment Standards & Workplace Safety
Whether you’re an employee or an employer, it’s important to understand employment standards and to know where to go if you need help or advice.
- The Employment Standards Branch administers the Employment Standards Act, which ensures that employees in B.C. receive at least basic compensation and conditions of employment
- Employment Standards Tribunal can hear appeals on decisions made with regards to the Employment Standards Act
- WorkSafeBC works with affected employees that suffer from a work-related injury or disease with return-to-work rehabilitation, compensation, health care benefits and other services
- Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal hears appeals regarding decisions made by WorkSafeBC on compensation, rehabilitation and occupational health and safety
- Employers' Advisers Office provides advice and assistance to employers regarding workplace safety.
- The BC Labour Relations Board mediates and adjudicates employment and labour relations matters related to unionized workplaces
The law in B.C. sets standards for payment, compensation and working conditions in most workplaces. The standards promote open communication, fair treatment and life-work balance for employees. Do B.C. employment standards apply to you?
Learn about B.C. employment standards, or find out what you can do about a specific work situation.
Operating independently of WorkSafeBC, the Workers' Advisers Office provides free advice and assistance to workers and their dependants on disagreements they may have with WorkSafeBC decisions.