2. Personal Education Number (PEN)
Students entering B.C.’s education system are assigned a Personal Education Number (PEN): a unique nine-digit number.
If you attended a B.C. K-12 school since 1993, wrote a provincial exam since 1986 or attended a B.C. Public Post-Secondary Institution since 1998, then you MAY have a PEN.
You use this PEN when accessing provincial exam results or ordering secondary school transcripts.
Please visit the Ministry of Education web page for more information on Personal Education Number (PEN) Information for Students and Parents
You can obtain your PEN using one of the following options:
- Checking with your current, or recent secondary school
- The school where you wrote your most recent provincial exam
- The top right-hand corner of your official Ministry of Education transcript
- If you attended a B.C. Public Post-Secondary Institution since 1998, you may have a PEN. To obtain your PEN contact that institution's records department
- Download and complete as per the instructions on the Student PEN Request Form (PDF)
PENs can only be given to:
- The person assigned the PEN
- That person’s current or future school (in case of early registrations)
- That person’s parent or guardian (if the person is under 19 years of age and incapable of consenting to the disclosure)
Under the Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act, PEN information cannot be given over the phone.
If you do not have a PEN you can order a transcript online. You will need to complete an online form then submit it to the Student Certification Branch (SCB) Transcript Administrator. Note: your order will be cancelled by SCB if it is discovered that you do have a PEN.
The StudentTranscripts system will take you through a series of steps/questions to complete the form.
Step 1: Enter your Date of Birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Note if your date of birth is greater than 1989, you have a PEN and you are required to create an account with the StudentTranscript service to order your transcript or certificate online.
- If your date of birth is less than 1989 the system will display the next question
Step 2: Did you attend or graduate from a school in B.C. or the Yukon between 1986 and today?
- If yes, then you have a PEN and you are required to create an account with the StudentTranscript service to order your transcript or certificate online.
- If no, the system will display the next question
Step 3: Did you attend or graduate from a school in BC between 1974 and 1985?
- If yes, then you must contact your school of graduation School Contact Information or district office School District Office to obtain your transcript or certificate.
- If no, the system will display the final question;
Step 4: Did you attend in the University Entrance or Academic-Technical Program prior to 1974?
- If yes; click the continue button to order your transcript or certificate
- If no; then you must contact the district office School District Office to obtain your transcript or certificate
Step 5: To continue to the order form you must read and consent to the Privacy Notice
Step 6: Complete the ‘Student and School Information’ sections
- First Name: enter your first name (the legal name you used in high school)
Important note: if you do not have a first name you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the StudentTranscript service
- Middle name(s): enter your middle name(s) if you have one
- Last name: enter your last name (the legal name you used in high school)
- Former Name: if you have one i.e., maiden name
- Date of Birth: enter your date of birth: dd/mm/yyyy
- Email Address: enter an email address that you use; this is how the student transcript administrator will contact you if required
- Name of Last Secondary School: the name of the last secondary school you attended
- Your Graduation Year or the Last Year Attended (e.g., 1983): enter the last year you went to secondary school or the year you graduated
- Last Secondary School Grade Achieved (i.e. 10, 11, 12): enter the last grade you completed
Step 7: Complete the ‘Documents to Send’ section:
- Select the number of transcripts
- Select the number of certificates
Note: you can send a transcript or a certificate or both a transcript and certificate
Step 8: Complete ‘Who do you want to send to’? Section:
- Use the Canadian Address tab to send to a Canadian address. Use the Other Address tab to send to a U.S. or International Address
- Name (employer or 3rd party): enter the name of the person/business you are sending the transcript to
- Street Address (including the apartment or room number): enter the address you are sending the transcript or certificate i.e., 101-620 Superior Street. StudentTranscripts uses Canada Post’s AddressComplete for Canadian addresses. Start typing the address and the tool will display addresses that match what you are typing. Click on the address you want and the City, Province and Postal Code will automatically be entered in the form.
Important Note: If AddressComplete does not display the address you want or you have difficulty with the tool, use the ‘Other Address’ tab to manually enter the address.
Step 9: Select the number of transcripts
Step 10: Multiple recipients? Click the Send to an Additional Person link and complete the fields as above
Step 11: Fees; The system will display the total cost in Canadian dollars for the recipients
Step 12: Click the continue button to complete your order and the system will display an order summary which includes;
- Who you sent the request to
- The address
- The Order item - transcript or certificate
- The quantity ordered and,
- The Cost
- Remove an item by clicking the Remove link
- You can confirm the order by clicking the check box; clicking the check box enables the payment options or,
- Click cancel
Step 13: Choose your payment option:
- Pay Online - enter credit/debit card information, orders are processed immediately
- Pay by Cheque or Money Order - orders are processed when your cheque is received and clears the bank (approximately 10 days)
Step 14: If you send a cheque be sure to include your order reference number (found on the order summary)
For more information on payment details see the Delivery and Fees.