PharmaNet is the province-wide network that links all B.C. pharmacies to a central data system. Every prescription dispensed in community pharmacies in B.C. is entered into PharmaNet.
PharmaNet access may be granted to community pharmacies, device providers, hospital pharmacies, emergency departments, hospitals, and community health practices as a clinical tool for the purpose of providing patient care.
A person may authorize the Ministry of Health to release their PharmaNet medication profile to a specified recipient for a specific purpose, such as litigation. The person must complete and sign Consent for Release of PharmaNet Patient Record (HLTH 5551) and fax the form to the PharmaNet Profiles Services Team.
The PharmaNet Profiles Services Team is available at
Mail: PO Box 9652 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria, BC V8W 9P4
Pharmacies reporting an error or correction to a PharmaNet patient profile should contact either the HIBC Helpdesk or the PharmaNet Data Quality Services Team.
The PharmaNet Data Quality Services team is available at
- Profile Errors
PharmaNet patient profile errors, including dispenses associated with the wrong PHN, should be reported immediately to the PharmaNet Data Quality Services Team.
- Orphan Records
Orphan records in PharmaNet are handled and processed by the Data Quality Service Team. If your pharmacy is affected by the monthly roundup of orphan records identified by the Data Quality Services Team, they will contact you directly.
- Adverse Reaction/Clinical Condition Field
To inactivate specific text in the Adverse Reaction/Clinical Condition field on a PharmaNet patient profile, please complete the Request to Inactivate Adverse Reaction/Clinical Condition on PharmaNet Profile (HLTH 5550) form. Fax the completed form to the PharmaNet Data Quality Services Team.
All community pharmacies in B.C. are required to connect to PharmaNet. Medical device providers are encouraged to request access to PharmaNet to simplify the claims procedure for patients. Physician practices, walk-in clinics, emergency departments, and health authority facilities may apply for access to PharmaNet as a clinical tool in providing patient care.
- Community pharmacies are granted access to PharmaNet by applying through the College of Pharmacists of B.C.
- Prosthetic, orthotic, and ostomy providers can request access to submit claims in PharmaNet through Health Insurance BC.
- Medical device distributors (e.g. insulin pump providers) can request access to submit claims in PharmaNet through Medical Device Distributors Online Claims Access to PharmaNet.
- Physicians and nurse practitioners in community practices (private practices, walk-in clinics, etc.) can apply for Community Health Practitioner Access to PharmaNet.
- Emergency departments can request Emergency Department Access to PharmaNet (EDAP).
- Health authority facilities can request Hospital Access to PharmaNet (HAP).
The Ministry of Health issues FanOut messages to pharmacies to communicate critical information about PharmaNet outages and lost or stolen prescription pads.
Prescribers can report a lost or stolen prescription pad or duplicate prescription pad to PharmaNet Support Services for communication to pharmacies via FanOut. A prescriber must be a registrant of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, the College of Dental Surgeons of BC, the College of Registered Nurses of BC, or the College of Pharmacists of BC.
To report a lost or stolen prescription pad, a prescriber will
- Phone PharmaNet Support Services at 1-844-660-3200
- Provide the following information:
- Prescriber’s name
- Prescriber’s location
- Prescriber’s license number
- Folio numbers involved
- Contact information
- Provide additional information as required
The PharmaNet Support Services line is answered during standard work hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.); prescribers may leave a voicemail message at any time with the information outlined above. Within one business day, PharmaNet Support Services will issue a FanOut to pharmacies in the relevant geographic area.
Critical information about issues other than lost or stolen prescription pads may be reviewed for FanOut by PharmaNet Support Services on a case-by-case basis.
The following issues will not be communicated via FanOut, except in exceptional circumstances:
- Prescription forgeries
- Pharmacy robberies
- Persons impersonating health care providers or insurers seeking personal information
- Prescribers cancelling prescriptions
- Lost prescriptions
- Tracking missing persons or persons of interest in criminal investigations