Emergency medical responder, primary care paramedic, advanced care paramedic, infant transport team and critical care paramedic licences are valid for five years. First responder licences are valid for three years. If your licence has expired, you are no longer licensed to practice in British Columbia, please see the Licence Applications page for information on licence reinstatements. This applies to all categories of licence. To renew your licence, follow the steps.
Paramedic Licence Renewals
Your licence expiry date is located on the front of your licence. In addition, the Emergency Medical Assistants Continuing Competence System displays a countdown to licence expiry each time you log into the system.
You will receive a reminder email three months before your licence expires. The reminder email will be sent to the email address you provided to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch. If you have not provided a current email address to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch, you will not receive the reminder.
Please send all your licence renewal documents to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch at least two weeks before the expiry date of your licence. This will allow time for processing, issuing and mailing of your licence.
To renew your licence, follow these steps:
- Complete and electronically submit an Application for EMA Licence form.
- Pay the applicable $50 licence renewal fee. If you work for the BC Ambulance Service, your fee will be invoiced to the BC Emergency Health Services Corporation if the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch receives your application form before your licence expires. (BC Ambulance Service employees can complete the application for licence form by using the pay later option at the bottom of the application for licence form).
How to Pay your Licence Fees
Licence Fees can be paid using the following methods:
- Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, or American Express,
- Cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance, including your full name, licence level and current mailing address.
Regular mail to:
Or courier to:
- Cash, in person at the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch only (do not mail cash).Licence
If you are unable to complete the relicensing requirements prior to your licence expiring, you may apply for a 60 day extension of your licence if
- Special circumstances exist, and
- You make a request before licence expires.