Emergency medical responder, primary care paramedic, advanced care paramedic, infant transport team and critical care paramedic licences are valid for five years. First responder licences are valid for three years. If your licence has expired, you are no longer licensed to practice in British Columbia, please see the Licence Applications page for information on licence reinstatements. This applies to all categories of licence. To renew your licence, follow the steps.
Paramedic Licence Renewals
For Emergency medical responder, primary care paramedic, advanced care paramedic, infant transport team and critical care paramedic licences the Emergency Medical Assistants Continuing Competence System displays a countdown to licence expiry each time you log into the system.
You will receive a reminder email two months before your licence expires. The reminder email will be sent to the email address you provided to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch. If you have not provided a current email address to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch, you will not receive the reminder.
Please send all your licence renewal documents to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch at least two weeks before the expiry date of your licence. This will allow time for processing, issuing and mailing of your licence.
To renew your licence, follow these steps:
- Complete and electronically submit an application for licence renewal form.
- Pay the applicable $50 licence renewal fee. If you work for the BC Ambulance Service, your fee will be invoiced to the BC Emergency Health Services Corporation if the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch receives your application form before your licence expires. (BC Ambulance Service employees can complete the application for licence form by using the pay later option at the bottom of the application for licence form).
How to Pay your Licence Fees
Licence Fees can be paid using the following methods:
- Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, or American Express,
- at the time you complete the application for licence renewal form, or
- by completing the EMA Licence Payment form at any time
- Cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance, including your full name, licence level and current mailing address.
Regular mail to:
Or courier to:
Please note: As per the regulations, an EMA FR licence may not be extended for the purpose of completing re-certification training.
The licensing board may, prior to the date that an EMA's licence expires, extend the EMA's licence for a period not longer than 60 days, if satisfied that special circumstances exist such that the EMA will be unable, before the licence expires, to complete any requirement necessary for the renewal of the EMA's licence.
You may apply for a 60-day extension of your licence if:
- Special circumstances exist, and
- You make a request before licence expires.
To request an extension, submit the Request for Licence Extension form.