Out-of-Province Applicants

Important Notice: Criminal Record Check Feedback Period

On July 16, 2019, the Emergency Medical Assistant Licensing Board (EMALB) notified Emergency Medical Assistants (EMAs) and their employers of an upcoming policy change.  Effective September 1, 2019 for initial and reinstatement licenses, and October 1, 2019 for license renewals, all EMAs will be required to complete a criminal record check.

Since then, the EMALB has received feedback from several stakeholders expressing concerns about the policy.

In order to provide a greater opportunity to receive and consider this and other potential stakeholder feedback, the EMALB has placed on hold implementation of this policy while it undertakes a 90 day feedback period ending November 24th, 2019. For further context, a draft policy has also been posted.

Following the conclusion of the feedback period, the EMALB will consider the full range of feedback received and make a final decision on the implementation of the policy.

Written feedback may be sent to emalbfeedback@gov.bc.ca (Subject Line: CRC Consultation) or by mail to:

EMA Licensing Branch

Attention: Amanda Saville – CRC Consultation

PO BOX 9625 Stn Prov Govt

Victoria BC  V8W 9P1


In order to transfer to B.C. as an Emergency Medical Assistant (EMA), you must be licensed or registered as an EMA or equivalent in your current jurisdiction. The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board does not accept applications from applicants transferring to B.C. based on training, employment and/or examinations only.

Canadian Applicants

If you hold a valid Emergency Medical Assistant licence in one or more province of Canada, you can get a licence in B.C.. The following links show which endorsements apply to each licence category:

Please Note: Not all licence levels will transfer to B.C. with all the endorsements listed in Schedule 2 of the Emergency Medical Assistants Regulation. Please see Endorsement Applications for more information on how to get an endorsement.

Applying for a Licence in British Columbia

To apply for a licence in B.C., follow these steps:

  • Complete Section A of the COPR Labour Mobility form (PDF, 288KB) for each province you are currently and/or previously registered in and send it to your regulating body(s). The regulating body(s) will complete Section B and send it directly to our office.
    • Ontario Applicants - Applicants that are not currently certified through a base hospital are not eligible for licensure in B.C.. The COPR labour mobility form must be completed by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
  • Complete and electronically submit the Application for Licence form.
  • Please ensure you review the Applicant Guide to the B.C. Jurisprudence Examination.

Once our office has received all of your documentation, you will be advised of your eligibility for licensing in B.C. and your exam requirements.

International Applicants

If you are licensed or registered outside of Canada and want to get an Emergency Medical Assistant licence in B.C., you must have your training and experience reviewed by the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Branch.

To request a review of your training and experience, follow these steps:

Once our office has received all of your documentation, a clinical advisor will review your file to determine your equivalent emergency medical assistant level in British Columbia. We will then advise you of your eligibility for licensing in B.C. and your exam requirements.

Note: There are fees associated with the licensing process when a written and/or practical exam is required.

Transferring from B.C.

To transfer from B.C. to another jurisdiction, you will need to verify your B.C. registration. The verification process is as follows:

  • Get the COPR Labour Mobility form from the jurisdiction you want to transfer to.
  • Complete Section A of the form and send by email to speciallicenses@gov.bc.ca.
    Note: You can mail the original to our office if the jurisdiction you want to transfer to requires an original.
  • Our office will fill out Section B of the Verification or Paramedic Registration form and then mail the form directly to the regulating body of that jurisdiction.

Useful Links

Canadian Emergency Medical Assistant Regulators