Licensee Retail Store

There is a government-imposed moratorium (freeze) on new licensee retail stores and new applications are not being accepted. The moratorium is in effect until July 1, 2032. There is no wait list.

The only exception is for current wine store licensees who want to convert their licence.

A Licensee Retails Store (LRS) can sell liquor for private consumption. A LRS is sometimes called a private liquor store or a cold beer and wine store.

Liquor includes

  • Beer
  • Wine
  • Coolers
  • Cider
  • A full range of spirits

On this page

Current licensees

Liquor and cannabis licensing portal

Current retail store licensees can submit applications for change jobs and renewals through the liquor and cannabis licencing portal.

For more information, visit online liquor licensing.

LRS temporary off-site sales

If you are a LRS licensee, you can apply for an extra endorsement that lets you sell your products at a tasting-focused food and beverage festival. With this endorsement, you can set up a temporary store at the event.

The festival must be licensed under a special event permit (SEP) and must invite you to attend.  Before each event, you must get an event-specific authorization to set up the temporary store.

To apply for a temporary off-site sale endorsement


To apply for an event-specific authorization


Send applications by

  • Email
  • Mail: PO Box 9292 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, BC V8W 9J8
  • Fax: 250 952-7066

Wine store licence conversions

If you are an independent wine store licensee, you can convert your licence to an LRS. The application deadline is 4:30 pm on Monday, 31 March, 2025.