Government of B.C.

Do you qualify?

You need an ethyl alcohol permit if you

  • Are in a B.C. mechanical or manufacturing business or scientific pursuit requiring the use of ethyl alcohol and
  • Propose to use ethyl alcohol for a purpose that is not contrary to the public interest

Wineries who wish to fortify their wines with ethyl alcohol require a “licence” issued by Revenue Canada's Excise Duty and Taxes and do not require an additional permit from the branch.


An ethyl alcohol permit is available as:

  • A single use permit
  • A three month permit

Permits are issued for commercial, scientific, institutional or other non-beverage use.

Permits are not transferable.

Processing times may vary.

You do not need an ethyl alcohol permit if you are

  • A pharmacist
    • If the ethyl alcohol is for use solely in connection with their pharmacy business in compounding medicines or as a solvent or preservative, or for sale to physicians and hospitals as a sterilizing agent
  • A dentist, medical practitioners, nurse practitioners, registrants of the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia, or veterinarians,
    • If the ethyl alcohol is for use solely in connection with their practice
  • Hospitals as defined in section 1 of the Hospital Act or licensed hospitals as defined in section 5 (1) of that Act,
    • The ethyl alcohol is for use only in the hospital
  • Universities
    • For use for scientific purposes
  • Branches, ministries, departments or institutions of the provincial or federal government
  • A person who hold a prescription for ethyl alcohol
  • A person who is authorized to purchase alcohol under the federal Excise Act, 2001


The application fee is $30


Fill out the application form

To complete an application, you need

  • The purpose for which the ethyl alcohol will be used
  • The amount of ethyl alcohol you intend to purchase
  • Details of how and where the ethyl alcohol will be stored
  • Names of the officials who will buy the ethyl alcohol
  • If the ethyl alcohol will be used by a business, evidence that the business is licensed and registered for the purpose of paying provincial and federal taxes. For example:
    • Business licence
    • Business registration
    • Corporation registration
    • GST registration number
    • PST registration number

Payment information

The application fee is $30. You can pay by:

  • Cheque, payable to Minister of Finance
    • A $30 fee is charged for non-sufficient funds
  • Money order, payable to Minister of Finance
  • Credit card

Submission information

To submit:

  • Complete application form online or on printed copy
  • Attach your payment of $30 (if mailing)
  • Submit through one of the following methods:

  • Mail a copy of the application package to:

Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch
PO Box 9292 Stn. Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9J8

  • Fax your application package to 250-952-7066
    • If paying by credit card, contact the client support team at 250-952-5787


Contact the client support team.

In Victoria Phone:

In Canada Toll Free:



Liquor licences: