Apply for a Non-beverage Alcohol exemption

Get an exemption to sell, supply, purchase or use non-beverage alcohol

Before you start

Non-beverage alcohol is a substance that has liquor combined with other ingredients. The other ingredients make the liquid not suitable to drink as a beverage. Non-beverage alcohol is considered to be 'denatured'.

You don't need a licence or permit to sell, supply, buy or use non-beverage alcohol, but you need to apply for an exemption.

Products denatured using salt must contain a minimum of 1.5% salt per 100g to be eligible for exemption.


There is no fee for this exemption.

A non-beverage alcohol exemption is for people who sell, supply, purchase or use non-beverage alcohol products such as:

Medicinal products

  • Cough medicines
  • Stomach bitters
  • Ethnic medicines
  • Herbal liqueurs and remedies
  • Digestive aids
  • Tinctures and tonics

Toiletry products

  • Mouthwash
  • Hand cleansers

Culinary products

  • Cooking wines
  • Cooking sherries
  • Vanilla extract
  • Gelled and peppered baking extracts

Most non-drinkable (non-potable) medicinal products, un-salted culinary products and toiletries are automatically exempt. If you are not sure if your product needs an exemption, submit the required documents to the LCRB and someone will contact you.

If you are a manufacturer or importer, you are still responsible to make sure you have all other approvals, permissions, licences or similar requirements by other authorities.

Review the Miscellaneous Policy Manual (PDF, 302KB) for more information on Non-beverage Alcohol Exemptions.


Application requirements

For an exemption for a specific non-beverage alcohol product, you need

  • An application letter
  • Two samples of the product
  • Sample labels
    • Front and back sample labels for each container size
  • An independent lab report

Required document details

To apply

If you do not need to send samples

  • Email the required documents to the LCRB

If you do need to send samples

  • Mail the required documents and samples to
    • PO Box 9292, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria B.C. V8W 9J8

Cooking alcohol

The sale or distribution of rice and cooking alcohol is specifically prohibited due to a history of illegal sale and consumption. This includes cooking wine made from rice alcohol and with an alcohol content of 10% or greater.

Only B.C. government liquor stores can sell rice alcohol.

The exception to this rule is for large-volume commercial sales in containers of 10 L or more

  • If they are pre-sold to manufacturers or other commercial users before being imported to B.C.

Importing or distributing cooking alcohol in B.C.

Before importing or distributing cooking alcohol, you must apply to the LCRB.

To apply

Complete the application forms

Send the forms to LCRB by

  • E-mail
  • Mail: PO Box 9292, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria B.C. V8W 9J8
  • Fax: 250-952-7066

The LCRB will contact you to follow up.

Contact information

Contact the client support team.

In Victoria Phone
In Canada Toll Free
Liquor licences