Government of B.C.

What you'll need


Catering licences are for catering businesses that provide a full range of food and beverage services to their clients. Licensed caterers can sell liquor and maintain a liquor inventory.

Licensed caterers must make sure the primary focus of their business is preparing and serving food.

You must have the personnel and equipment necessary to prepare and serve food at events hosted by others.

  • This includes the requirement to have a full commercial kitchen at your establishment


There is a $950 application and first-year licensing fee that is charged when we receive your application. 

The annual renewal fee is calculated based on the amount of liquor you purchase.

Terms and conditions

Review the Catering Terms and Conditions (PDF, 410.7KB) and guidelines for liquor advertising and promotion to understand the terms and conditions of your licence. 



Check requirements for your business type

The applicant needs to submit documents based on their business type: 

The business types include:

  • Sole Proprietorship
  • Private Corporation
  • Partnership
  • Public corporation
  • Society or non-profit corporation
  • Other applicant types

Check below to see what's required for your business type.

Show 6 items

Complete online application

You will need:

  • Relevant business documents based on your application
  • Sketch of the proposed establishment signage
  • Payment

You must include a Personal History Summary form as part of your application package.

As part of the Personal History Summary, attach the following documents, if required:

Apply online


Amend your licence

If you already have a licence and want to make changes, find out how to 


Contact the client support team

Victoria Office:

In Canada Toll Free Office:

Liquor licences:

Check out our new site