Managing Problems With an Employee

Supervisors can access advice and support for handling disputes, discipline and other challenging situations.

Employers may start with writing a letter of expectations.

Find more information on handling disputes, discipline on the following pages:

Letter of Expectations

The letter of expectations provides a framework for the supervisor and employee relationship. By providing guidance at the beginning of a relationship, the letter clearly communicates expectations to minimize future misunderstandings. It needs to be specific about accountabilities and responsibilities.

The letter of expectations can also be issued to address a particular situation, behavior or activity. The letter is not disciplinary, so should not reference the specifics of the situation, behavior or activity. It should

  • Be future looking
  • Be proactive
  • Be positive in tone
  • Ensure there is no type of warning
  • Contain no reference to past meetings
  • Reference no other documents on file

If you need assistance writing a letter of expectations, contact AskMyHR for help.