Sharing the results of misconduct allegations

Last updated: June 1, 2021

BC Public Service employees have a duty to report misconduct as outlined in the Standards of Conduct, and to step forward when they witness bullying or other human rights violations.

On this page

Common types of misconduct

There are a wide variety of behaviours that are investigated as potential misconduct.

Common types of misconduct include:

  • Breaches of privacy and confidentiality
  • Inappropriate use of government IT resources
  • Bullying
  • Insubordination
  • Conflict of interest
  • Theft
  • Fraud
  • Off-duty conduct
  • Misuse of managerial authority
  • Sexual harassment
  • Discrimination

In 2017, 77 percent of workplace misconduct investigations conducted by the Public Service Agency resulted in a finding that an allegation was substantiated.

For supervisors

When an employee submits a formal complaint alleging that misconduct has occurred, they often have a natural interest in knowing that steps have been taken and what the outcome will be. They may also have some worry because they have brought allegations forward.

Supervisors and others involved must balance employees' interest in knowing more information with the need to protect the privacy of all involved individuals, and to not disclose information that could impact the integrity of the investigative process. 

Information should not be disclosed while the investigation is in progress, as this could negatively impact the process.

Once an investigation has concluded, it may be appropriate for the supervisor or a senior ministry executive to inform a person who submitted a formal complaint as to whether their allegation(s) were substantiated or not. Even where this is appropriate, information should not be provided about outcomes for respondents nor should information be disclosed regarding specific steps taken to resolve the allegation(s).

Wherever a ministry is contemplating such a disclosure, advice should be sought from the BC Public Service Agency. Legal advice may also need to be sought to ensure that any information disclosed is authorized and appropriate.

Support for employees

During the course of an investigation, or following an investigation, employees who need support can contact their union or association.

They can also get support from Employee and Family Assistance Services.

Union or association

Employee and Family Assistance Services

Employee and Family Assistance Services (EFAS) are available to employers and their family members for confidential support for a work, health or life concern.

Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the EFAS provider.

For access, call 1-800-655-5004 (toll-free) or visit WorkHealthLife.

Contact us

Can’t find what you need? 

Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request.

If you're a B.C. government employee without an IDIR, contact the BC Public Service Agency to submit your service request.