Login Best Practices
Use these guidelines to ensure your website is consistent with B.C. government login best practices. These recommendations help guide your implementation to make the login process feel seamless and intuitive. It's important that you’re familiar with identity assurance concepts before learning about login best practices.
Individuals should have a consistent experience when logging in to all B.C. government websites. These best practices cover the most common login scenarios and are based on:
- Analysis of existing B.C. government websites
- Feedback from ministries and agencies that use the B.C. government login website (also known as the common login page)
- Usability research findings, including input from individuals who have logged in using the B.C. government login website
- Industry best practices
Generally speaking, login credentials are an electronic way to prove who you are – such as a user ID and password. These best practices are focused on the main credentials available in the B.C. government login website:
- BCeID (Basic, Business, and Personal)
- BC Services Card
- Language consistency – minimize confusion by using standard terms
- Government website headers – consistently present login and logout actions and display the name of the individual logged in
These scenarios describe and illustrate how the login process should happen – in some cases, there’s also a link to a demo.
The demos are not "live" examples – they don’t require a login. They are simple web pages that walk you through a login transaction to give you an example of what an individual would experience. You can view the demos on a mobile device or a computer.
- Link to your secure website – correctly link to your website from content on different websites
- First time login – considerations for the first time individuals log in to your website
- Login for individuals returning to your website – options for handling when an individual returns to your website to log in
- Planning for when an individual cancels their login – make sure an individual doesn't get lost when they cancel logging in
- Other considerations – special scenarios like inviting individuals to use your website or for the help desk supporting individuals who use your website