Licensing - Talent Agencies
A person must be licensed under the Employment Standards Act in order to operate a talent agency in the province of British Columbia.
The Act defines “talent agency” as a person or company who, for a fee, engages in the occupation of offering to procure, promising to procure, attempting to procure or procuring employment for actors, performers, extras or technical creative film persons.
See the Talent Agencies factsheet.
See the Group Hires factsheet.
For further information on licensing requirements, please refer to the Interpretation Guidelines Manual at the following links:
- Talent agencies must be licensed
- Licensing of talent agencies
- Rules about licenses
- If a licence is refused, cancelled or suspended
- Surrender of licenses
- Appeals from the refusal, cancellation and suspension of a licence
Applying for a Talent Agency License
- Talent agency licensing checklist
- Talent agency licence application form (PDF, 180KB)
- Talent agency licence renewal form (PDF, 182KB)
Talent agency licence application and renewal forms are available to download in PDF. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer before you can view PDF files. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free
Submitting application form
The form cannot be submitted online. It must be mailed to PO Box 9571 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9K1, faxed to 250-952-0476 or delivered in person to an Employment Standards Branch Office near you.
Your application is not complete until the Branch receives the following documents:
- A non-refundable application fee of $100.00 payable to the Director of Employment Standards. You may enclose a cheque with your application, or your may pay by Visa, Mastercard or American Express. The instructions appear on the application form;
- A copy of your Talent Agency Contract; and
- An irrevocable letter of credit, cheque or other security in the amount of $725.00.
The Branch does not send out renewal notices. You must ensure that the Branch receives your licence renewal application before your current licence expires to avoid a penalty for operating without a licence.
List of Talent Agencies
- The Employment Standards Branch posts a List of Licensed Talent Agencies (PDF, less than 1 MB).
Frequently Asked Questions
- A list of frequently asked questions pertaining to Talent Agency licensing is available.
For more information, please contact the Employment Standards Branch:
200 - 880 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC V8V 2B7
Mailing address: PO Box 9571 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9K1
Employment Standards Information Line: 1 800 663-3316