B.C. Highway Flood Recovery Projects - Highway 1 - Malahat Tunnel Hill Washout
- September 8, 2023 - Overnight work on Malahat-Tunnel Hill site may cause delays
Beginning on Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, single-lane-alternating traffic will be in place overnight from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. 4-5 nights per week.
CVSE Notice 05-21
A contract has been awarded to Windley Contracting Ltd. to complete permanent repairs at the Highway 1 Malahat Tunnel Hill Washout.
Last Updated: September 7, 2023
The atmospheric river flood event on November 15, 2021 washed out approximately 50m of the NB lane, the existing culvert outlet was damaged, and several sections of the existing retaining wall (bin wall) were compromised. Temporary repairs were completed to stabilize the slope and reopen the highway.
The Malahat is a critical connection for residents, businesses, emergency services and the transportation of goods between the mid-Island and the Capital Region. This project ensures safety for drivers and increases resiliency during future extreme climate events.
The project includes:
- Restoring approximately 50 metres of the northbound lane north of Finlayson Arm Road and repairing damage to existing drainage and slope stability
- Replacing 80-metre long retaining wall to secure the slope against future extreme weather events
- Addressing drainage capacity to protect against extreme weather events
- Highway 1 Malahat Tunnel Hill is located approximately 1 km north of Finlayson Arm Road, within the northern boundary of Goldstream Provincial Park, on Vancouver Island.
- Malahat is currently open. Temporary restrictions removed to restore 85T route & Term Permits for vehicle widths up to 3.8 m. Permits for vehicle widths greater than 3.8m may be available with advanced notice (Commercial Transport Notice # 05-21, Amended: July 13, 2022)
- New lane configurations are in place through the construction site.
- Drivers may experience minor delays in order for the contractor to safely mobilize and demobilize personnel and equipment, this may only occur outside of directional peak travel times.
- Drivers are reminded to drive for the conditions, observe construction zone speed limits and follow the direction of traffic-control signs and personnel.
- The project will maintain continuous 2-way traffic (one-lane in each direction) during daytime traffic hours throughout the duration of the project. Single Lane Alternating Traffic (SLAT) may occur during the evening between 8 pm and 6 am.
- Check DriveBC for conditions and events that may be affecting Highway 1
- The project budget is $24 million
- The construction contract is $14.893 million
The contract has been awarded to Windley Contracting Ltd.
The status of permanent repairs:
- Mobilization (COMPLETED)
- Temporary Retaining Wall (COMPLETED)
- Permanent Anchors – 98 DCP Anchors (Phase 1 COMPLETED, Phase 2 IN PROGRESS)
- Piling – 84 Piles total (COMPLETED)
- Reinforcing Steel and Concrete Retaining Wall (IN PROGRESS)
- Drainage (IN PROGRESS)
- Grading & Paving
Construction of permanent repairs began in July 2022 and is scheduled for completion in fall 2023
The viewer is temporarily broken. Please click link to see photo gallery.