Glossary and frequently asked questions for property taxes
Find answers to frequently asked questions and other information to help you understand the meaning of terms used in property taxes.
Annual property tax
Taxes you pay every year when you own or lease a property or manufactured home.
- When are my taxes due?
- How can I pay my taxes?
- Do I qualify to reduce my taxes?
- Why do I pay school tax?
- What should I do if I receive a tax notice, but no longer lease the Crown land?
- Who pays the taxes when there's more than one owner?
- What happens to the taxes when a property is subdivided?
Home owner grant
Reduces the amount of annual property tax you pay for your principal residence.
- Do I qualify?
- How do I apply?
- Who can apply on my behalf?
- Can I claim a grant I forgot to apply for?
- Can I claim a grant if I'm separated from my spouse?
- Can I claim a grant if I'm not living in my home or moving into a residential care facility?
Property tax deferment
Allows you to defer paying your annual property taxes on your principal residence.
- Do I qualify?
- What taxes can be deferred?
- How do I calculate my equity?
- How long can I defer my taxes?
- How do I repay my deferred taxes?
- Can I obtain financing or refinancing after I defer my taxes?
Property transfer tax
Taxes you pay when you purchase or gain an interest in a property.
- When am I charged property transfer tax?
- How do I calculate the tax?
- How do I file my taxes?
- How do I pay my assessment?
- Do I qualify for an exemption?
- Is there an exemption for first time home buyers?