How to Apply for the Home Owner Grant

If you qualify for the home owner grant, you must apply each year to receive it. You must apply every year because the previous year’s information may be out of date if your residential circumstance has changed. This may affect your qualifications for the grant.

Building and land owners: If you're claiming a home owner grant on behalf of eligible occupants living in your building or on your property, learn how to apply for the multiple home owner grant

What’s changed in 2021

Starting in 2021, residents in municipalities no longer apply for the home owner grant through their municipal office. Everyone now applies directly to the province using a new online system that’s easy to use and will process applications faster.

The system will be available in early 2021.

Important: Early applications are not being accepted at this time. To be notified when the system goes live, subscribe to our What’s New in Property Taxes page.

Get ready to apply

The best time to apply is after you receive your property tax notice in the mail and before your property tax due date.

  1. Wait to receive your property tax notice in the mail.
  2. Keep your property tax notice on hand. It has important numbers you’ll need to apply.
  3. Once applications open, you can apply quickly and easily online.
  4. If you’re unable to apply online, call us at 1-888-355-2700 for assistance.