How can I find out more about keeping my family safe?

Last updated on March 14, 2022

Support and Information


VictimLinkBC is a toll free, confidential, telephone service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It provides services in 150 languages, including many North American Aboriginal languages.

Victim Services

B.C.'s Criminal Justice System website has a section called If You Are a Victim of Crime where you can learn more about services and resources available to victims of crime in British Columbia.

Family justice counsellors and Family Justice Centres

Family Justice Centres and Justice Access Centres are staffed by family justice counsellors who can give you information about protecting yourself and your family. They provide services free of charge to parents and other family members.

To contact a family justice counsellor at the location nearest you please call Service BC between 7:30 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, and ask the operator to transfer you.

Family Law in British Columbia – Legal Aid BC

Family Law in British Columbia is a website that provides information and resources about abuse and family violence.

Clicklaw – Courthouse Libraries BC

Clicklaw is a website that provides user friendly, searchable access to key legal information, including information about separation and divorce. On the home page (“Solve Problems”), go to “Your Safety” and select Abuse & family violence.

Clicklaw’s HelpMap can help you locate services that can assist with abuse and family violence.

Clicklaw will also link you to information and services in languages other than English. On the home page, select languages to find legal resources and services in 15 other languages.

Dial-A-Law – People's Law School

The Dial-A-Law website is a service of the People’s Law School. It offers information on a wide range of topics, including family violence.

In an Emergency

Dial 911 in an emergency. If your community does not have 911 services, call your local police.

Legal Help and Advice

Check out these resources from the Legal Aid BC:

Visit a Justice Access Centre:

Talk with a family justice counsellor at a Family Justice Centre.

Other Legal Resources
International Child Abduction

British Columbia has a central authority that assists left-behind parents whose children have been abducted across international borders.