What is a peace bond and how do I get one?

A peace bond is made under the Criminal Code of Canada.

A peace bond can protect you from anyone, including someone you have only dated, such as a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend.

You can get a peace bond if you are afraid the other person will hurt you or your children.

You can ask the police or RCMP for a peace bond. Or you can apply for one yourself.

The Legal Aid BC's Abuse & Family Violence web pages explain how and when people can apply for peace bonds and family law protection orders, and what the differences are between them.