Should I get a peace bond or a protection order? What is the difference?

Last updated on August 4, 2021

The Legal Aid BC's Abuse & Family Violence web pages explain how and when people can apply for peace bonds and family law protection orders, and what the differences are between them.

In an Emergency

Dial 911 in an emergency. If your community does not have 911 services, call your local police.

Legal Help and Advice

Check out these resources from Legal Aid BC:

Visit a Justice Access Centre:

Talk with a family justice counsellor at a Family Justice Centre.

Other Legal Resources
International Child Abduction

British Columbia has a central authority that assists left-behind parents whose children have been abducted across international borders.