This page contain detailed statistical reports that are currently available on topics such as recreational deaths, drug and alcohol related deaths, drowning, suicide, and motor vehicle incident (MVI) deaths.
The BC Coroners Service works in a real-time database environment and therefore statistics for a given year are subject to change until all coroners' cases from that year are complete. Reports on this page are updated and refreshed periodically, and new reports are added to this page when needed.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of data requests received and resources required to support the illicit drug crisis, we currently have limited ability to respond to ad hoc statistical requests. You are encouraged to view the statistical reports located below to see if any reports there will meet your needs or to visit Vital Statistics. If you still wish to make a request, please email CoronerRequest@gov.bc.ca - your query will be placed in the queue and please expect a longer than usual delay in response.
- Motor Vehicle Incident Deaths (2008-2017) - posted July 6, 2018
- Factors Contributing to Motor Vehicle Incident Fatalities in BC (2013)
- Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities (2010-2016)
- Motorcyclist Deaths (2008-2018) - posted Aug. 28, 2018
- All-Terrain Vehicle Fatalities (2006-2015)
- Avalanche Deaths (1996-March 17, 2014)
- Winter Activity Deaths (2007/08 - 2015/16)
- Accidental Drowning Fatalities (2008-2016)
- Swimming Pool Deaths (2006-2012)
- Child Drowning Deaths (2006-2012)
- Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths in B.C. (2008-2018) - posted Nov. 14, 2018, updated monthly
- Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths - Summary Infographic (PDF) - posted Nov. 14, 2018, updated monthly (other formats available upon request)
- Fentanyl-Detected Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths (2012-2018) - posted Nov. 14, 2018, updated quarterly
- Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths in BC: Findings of Coroner's Investigations - posted Sept. 26, 2018
- Review of Prescription Opiate-Related Overdose Deaths (2005-2010)
- MDMA (Ecstasy) Related Deaths (2006-2012)
- Preventing Pharmaceutical Opioid-Associated Mortality in British Columbia