Statistical Reports on Deaths in British Columbia
The BC Coroners Service works in a real-time database environment and therefore statistics for a given year are subject to change until all coroners investigations from that year are complete. Reports on this page are updated and refreshed periodically, and new reports are added to this page when needed.
Due to the high volume of data requests received and resources required to support the illicit drug crisis, we currently have limited ability to respond to ad hoc statistical requests.
If the below reports do not meet your needs, please submit a request for information to CoronerRequest@gov.bc.ca. Your inquiry will be responded to, but please expect longer than usual delays.
Not all deaths are reported to the BC Coroners Service.
The Department of Vital Statistics registers all deaths in British Columbia and is the agency best able to address inquiries related to total deaths in the province. Click here for data on total deaths in BC.
COVID-19 is a viral illness. Deaths due to diagnosed COVID-19 do not meet the reporting requirements of the Coroners Act, and the BC Coroners Service will not be notified when these deaths occur. Information related to deaths from COVID-19 can be found via the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC).
- NEW Illicit Drug Toxicity Deaths in B.C. (to July 31, 2022) - posted Sep. 15, 2022
- NEW Illicit Drug Toxicity Type of Drug Data (to July 31, 2022) - posted Sep. 15, 2022
- Mode of Consumption Data – Knowledge Update - posted Feb. 9, 2022
- Illicit Drug Deaths with Methamphetamine Involved (2008-2017) - posted Jul. 15, 2019
- Illicit Drug Overdose Deaths in B.C.: Findings of Coroner's Investigations - posted Sept. 26, 2018
- Preventing Pharmaceutical Opioid-Associated Mortality in British Columbia - posted Jul. 10, 2017
- Review of Prescription Opiate-Related Overdose Deaths (2005-2010) - posted Apr. 10, 2013
- MDMA (Ecstasy) Related Deaths (2006-2012) - posted Jan. 31, 2013
- Pedestrian Traffic Fatalities (2012-2021) - posted May 13, 2022
- Motor Vehicle Incident Deaths (2012-2021) - posted May 13, 2022
- Motorcyclist Deaths (2012-2021) - posted May 13, 2022
- Factors Contributing to Motor Vehicle Incident Fatalities in BC (2013) - posted Sept. 2015
- Accidental Drowning Deaths (2008-2018) - posted Sept. 17, 2021
- Winter Activity Deaths (2007/08-2017/18) - posted Apr. 27, 2020
- All-Terrain Vehicle Fatalities (2008-2018) - posted July 2, 2019
- Avalanche Deaths (1996-March 17, 2014) - posted Mar. 18, 2014
- Swimming Pool Deaths (2006-2012) - posted July 10, 2012
- Child Drowning Deaths (2006-2012) - posted July 10, 2012
- Knowledge Update on Heat-Related Deaths in B.C. in Summer 2022 - posted Aug. 9, 2022
- Knowledge Update on Suicides (to Dec. 31, 2021) - posted May 20, 2022
- Knowledge Update on Heat-Related Deaths in B.C. in Summer 2021 - posted Nov. 1, 2021
- Suicide Deaths (2007-2018) - posted Apr. 22, 2020
- Deaths Among Homeless Individuals (2007-2016) - posted Mar. 21, 2019
- Deaths of Inmates of Correctional Facilities in B.C. (Jan 2008-May 2017) - posted Aug. 30, 2017
- Intimate Partner Violence (2004-2014) - posted Dec. 17, 2014
- Residential Structure Fire Deaths in B.C. (2007-2011) - posted Mar. 28, 2012