Victim Notification - the Victim Safety Unit

If you are a victim of crime in British Columbia, you can register for the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General’s victim notification service.

Victim Safety Unit

This Victim Safety Unit provides victims with information about the accused or offender. Once you register, the unit gives ongoing information to victims while an accused or offender is in the community (on bail or probation) and in custody. The type of information you may receive will depend on your situation. The Victim Safety Unit will go over this with you when you register.

You can register at any time but you should register as soon as possible, especially if you have significant safety concerns. You do not have to wait for a conviction.

How to Register

To register for the victim notification service, you can apply to the Victim Safety Unit (VSU) by:

Further information on registering with the VSU is available in the Help Starts Here - Information on Victim Notification publication.

Information You May Receive

The Victims of Crime Act states the information you may be able to receive as a victim. For example, it may include:

  • The area in B.C. in which the accused or offender may be living
  • If the accused/offender has to stay away from you (if you are named in a protection order)
  • Court dates and what happens at court
  • Whether the accused or offender is in the community or in custody
  • If they are out in the community, what conditions they must follow
  • If they are in custody, the name and address of the correctional centre
  • If the offender is in jail, the release date, length of their release and conditions the offender must follow when they get out of jail
  • Their probation officer’s name and location.

If you are not a victim of crime, but you still have very serious safety concerns, you may be able to receive information about when the offender will be released from jail.

Offender in Federal Custody (Sentence of Two Years or More)

An offender sent to jail for two or more years will be held in a federal Correctional Service of Canada jail. The service and Parole Board of Canada notify registered victims of offenders under federal jurisdiction.

If you would like to contact either agency directly, please visit their websites for contact information:

The Correctional Service of Canada has a team dedicated to victim services. As a victim of crime or their family member, you can register with their victim services team to be kept up to date on what happens with the offender during their sentence. These officers will also address any safety concerns you may have.

The Correctional Service of Canada will take information provided by the victim into consideration when making decisions about an offender’s suitability for temporary releases, programs designed for offenders and security or risk levels that should be applied to the offender.