Riparian/Wetlands Protocol Self-Guided Training
The primary goal of this course is to help prepare you for field-oriented training in wetlands assessment. The field-training is rigorous and we have created this online course so that you will already have a basic knowledge of the Wetlands Management Routine Effectiveness Evaluation (WMREE) process and understand some of the terms, procedure and practices used as you undertake the field-based WMREE training.
The course is intended for foresters, technical staff and First Nation partners who conduct WMREE assessments as part of the FREP Stewardship Monitoring Program.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will have an understanding of the basic background information needed for FREP wetlands sampling such as:
- Understand why FREP monitoring is undertaken each year
- Understand the concept of Properly Functioning Condition
- Understand how to determine reach eligibility for sampling
- Navigate through the WMREE checklist
- Know the steps required to conduct WMREE sampling
- Understand the optimal field conditions for effective and safe WMREE sampling
- Review the reference materials that will assist you in WMREE sampling after completing the training
- Understand the basic terms related to WMREE sampling
The course is a self-directed tutorial comprised of 8 lessons or modules. Each lesson contains summarized information from the protocol, field guide and checklist. You will also find many images presented to help you understand concepts. Throughout this course you will find references to the protocol, field guide and checklist. If you want more specific information on any of the areas you are studying, then refer to these documents.
You are encouraged to evaluate your learning by completing the self-check exercises at the end of each lesson. To get the most out of the course, you are advised to complete these exercises prior to attending the field training. They don’t take long and will help you review the concepts that you have worked through.
Although you are encouraged to set your own pace through the material, it is anticipated that you will need between two to four hours to complete the course, depending on your prior knowledge and the level of detail you need. The modular design of the course means that you can create your own learning path through the lessons, depending on your requirements.
This course is intended to provide overview and summary information. The protocol, field guide and training will provide greater depth of context to help assessors in their understanding.
Please review the full protocol prior to commencing lesson one: WMREE protocol. Also please ensure you have the protocol available as you work through the lessons.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to FREP & Wetland Assessments
- Lesson 2: Training & Field Preparedness
- Lesson 3: Wetland Assessment Overview
- Lesson 4: Pre-field Desktop Information
- Lesson 5: Transect Layout and Wetland Classification
- Lesson 6: Transect and Continuous Indicators
- Lesson 7: Additional Indicators
- Lesson 8: Field Based Upland/Riparian Indicators