On assistance

After you are approved for income assistance, you will receive:

  • A monthly income assistance rate based on your situation and the size of your family unit. For example, for payments issued for the October 2021 benefit month, you could get up to:
    • $935.00 if you are single
    • $1,525.00 if you and your spouse are both on assistance and you have no children
    • $1,280.00 if you are a single parent with one child 
    • $1,720.00 if you and your spouse are both on assistance and have one child
  • Medical services plan coverage
  • No-deductible PharmaCare prescription coverage

Depending on your circumstances, you may also get other expenses covered. If you have children, you'll keep basic health coverage. This includes Medical Services Plan and 100 per cent coverage under PharmaCare for a full year after you leave income assistance for employment.

Earnings exemption

Effective January 1, 2021, the earnings exemption for people on income assistance are:

  • For a single person or couples without children receiving income assistance: $500.00 a month
  • For families with children: $750.00 a month
  • For families with a child with a disability: $900.00 a month
  • For single persons or families where at least one adult is in the Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers category: $900.00 a month

What you need to do each month

Action your employment plan

If you are on income assistance and able to work, you will have to complete an employment plan. The activities in your plan will help you become self-supporting, if you are able.

In certain circumstances, you may not have to seek work while on income assistance. If you think you shouldn’t have to complete an employment plan, call 1-866-866-0800 or visit your local office.

Some people can't work because they have persistent and multiple barriers to employment. If this applies to you, you might be able to get extra support while you’re on income assistance.

Submit your monthly report

When you are on income assistance, you must complete the monthly report form each month. This form is also known as the “cheque stub”. It is due by the fifth of each month.

The monthly report is a legal document that tells the government you are still in need. We’ll verify the information with private, provincial and federal agencies. We'll then use this information to determine your eligibility or the amount of your next assistance cheque.

You can submit your monthly report using My Self Serve. Or, you can complete the manual monthly report (PDF) and either drop it off at your local office or mail it in each month.