Direct deposit for income and disability assistance

Last updated on October 21, 2021

You can have your income assistance deposited into your bank account. It’s a safe, convenient and dependable way to receive assistance each month.

On this page:

How to sign up

  1. If you don't already have a bank account, open one at the bank or credit union of your choice. You will have to give them some personal information, including your name and address. You do not need to make a deposit to open an account
  2. Complete the Direct Deposit Request (PDF) form
  3. Attach a personal cheque with "VOID" written on the front to the form. If you don't have a cheque, ask your bank to fill in your account details
  4. Return the completed form to us
  5. Let us know right away if your account information changes. Your assistance could get delayed if your file has the wrong information

Direct deposit and your privacy

The B.C. government can only deposit money into your bank account. Financial institutions can't give out your account information without your permission. Let us know if you have any outstanding garnishees or court orders against you. Money can be taken from your bank account to cover these debts.

Why use a bank?

Using a financial institution will make sure there's a record of all your transactions. This can help you track your expenses. Most banks and credit unions offer free online and toll-free telephone banking to easily:

  • Pay bills
  • Transfer funds
  • Check balances
  • Review transactions

Your bank or credit union may charge you a fee for deposits depending on what type of account you open. All financial institutions offer low-cost account options. Contact your bank or credit union to find out which kind of account is best for you.

Direct deposit for service providers

If you provide a service or supplies to someone who receives assistance, you can get payment directly from the B.C. government:

You don’t have to complete the form if you already receive electronic payments from another B.C. government ministry or organization. Call 1-866-866-0800 to set up payments from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.

American Sign Language (ASL)

ASL and Closed Captioning

Contact information

Get help and answers to your questions at your local office or:

Toll Free