Submit Inventory Projects & Surveys
Use the provincial submissions site to:
- Submit reports, datasets (that include a date, a count and spatial locations), spatial files, maps, photos and other supporting documents
- Register inventory projects
- Track submissions
- Archive important works such as review articles, management summaries and standard scientific research reports
- Share your data and information with the BC Conservation Data Centre, BC Frogwatch, and BC Wildlife Health programs
Copies of your project files will be archived and made available for download from the Species Inventory Web Explorer in the same format that they were submitted.
Step 1: Make sure you collect species inventory data following provincial guidelines and standards.
Be sure to include:
- Project registration and survey definition via the submission site
- A PDF or MS Word report
- Data in a standard template, including user-defined fields or analyses added to the template workbook
- A shape or spatial file of study area boundaries and any sampling units using the spatial data template
- Any additional shape files, maps, documents or analysis spreadsheets that support or augment your project (e.g. photographs, maps, PowerPoint presentations, copies of public relations material, etc.)
Study area boundaries, block boundaries, transects, and flight lines are examples of information best presented as GIS spatial data. All submitted spatial data must be in the spatial data template.
Step 2: A government user ID and password is needed before you can log in (government employees can use their IDIR). Anyone can apply for a Basic BCeID, it only takes a few minutes to register for an account.
Step 3: You will get an "access denied" error when you log in for the first time – that's okay. Select the "request access" option. You will receive an email once you have been given access to the site.
Step 4: Once you have access to the site and log in, you will need to:
- Register your project
- Describe your surveys
- Load your template with your data, reports other documents and files
- Submit the loaded templates, reports and other documents or files
Note: Submissions are linked to your user ID – be sure to use the same one when you log in so that you can see all of your submissions.
Troubleshooting: If you're receiving an unauthorized error, try configuring your web browser to "prompt for user name and password" (see your browser's security settings).
If you're having trouble logging in your password may have expired (they expire every two years). Log in to BCeID to change your password.