Climate Planning & Action
CleanBC puts our province on a clear path to a cleaner, better future. Our 2018 plan includes significant actions that help us to use energy more efficiently and prevent waste, while making sure the energy we do use is the cleanest possible.
- Ramping up funding for renovations and energy retrofits
- Making every new building constructed in B.C. “net-zero energy ready” by 2032
- Helping people afford zero-emission vehicles and making all new cars in B.C. zero-emission by 2040
- Reducing organic waste and turning it into a clean resource
- Helping industry reduce emissions with targeted incentives
- Launching new training programs for clean jobs of the future
Our CleanBC actions are creating new economic opportunities for people across the province while reducing our carbon pollution. And we’re building on several successful initiatives such as the Carbon Tax and Carbon Neutral Government.
Climate Change Accountability
Together with our partners across B.C., we’ve made significant progress. The 2019 Climate Change Accountability Report details progress in our first year toward meeting our 2030 emissions reductions target and CleanBC goals, highlights early signs of success, and identifies areas of work still ahead.
To learn about the modelling and analysis used to inform policies and estimate emissions reductions in CleanBC and the accountability report, see the CleanBC Methodology Report.
Starting in 2020, as part of a new mandate introduced for better accountability and transparency, government will begin detailed reporting to the B.C. legislature each year. Under the new Climate Change Accountability Act, we:
- provide an annual report of spending, program results and anticipated reductions from the previous year
- forecast emissions for three years in the future
- report on actions taken to manage risks from climate change.
Using 2007 as the baseline, B.C. is committed though legislation to reductions of:
- 40% by 2030
- 60% by 2040
- 80% by 2050
In 2019, government introduced requirements to set sectoral emissions targets and an interim emissions target on the path to our 2030 goal.
The Province publishes B.C.’s greenhouse gas emissions every year through the provincial GHG inventory. Starting in 2020, the Province will also report annually on our progress to our emission reductions targets and CleanBC goals with the first climate change accountability report submitted to the legislature.
Climate Change Accountability Reports:
- 2019 Report (PDF, 4.2 MB)
Progress to Targets every two years:
- 2018 Report (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- 2016 Report (PDF, 4.3 MB)
included in Climate Leadership Plan
- 2014 Report (PDF, 9.3 MB)
- 2012 Report (PDF, 6.1 MB)
- 2010 Report (PDF, 2.1 MB)