Indigenous Youth Internship Program
Expressions of Interest for B.C. Indigenous organizations to host an intern are now open until March 3, 2023.
Last updated: January 25, 2023
This is the Indigenous Youth Internship Program (IYIP) – formerly the Aboriginal Youth Internship Program (AYIP).
Every year, this program provides a 12-month paid internship for up to 25 young Indigenous British Columbians, ages 19 to 29.
This program was created by the BC Public Service Agency in partnership with the Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation, Indigenous leaders and Indigenous youth organizations as part of the B.C. government's commitment to the new relationship with First Nations and Indigenous People.
It received the Deputy Minister's Award of Excellence in Innovation in 2009 and the Premier's Award for Partnership in 2010 to 2011.
- Encourage Indigenous youth to consider the BC Public Service or Indigenous organizations as a place to pursue a rewarding career
- Support Indigenous youth to develop their leadership skills
- Provide opportunities for Indigenous youth to contribute and improve relationship building between Indigenous communities/organizations and the provincial government
- Contribute to closing the social and economic gaps that exist between Indigenous people and other British Columbians
How it works
- The program mirrors the school year and runs annually from September to the following August. It provides professional experience, leadership development, cultural support, and a professional, cultural and social network through the intern cohort
- Interns are placed with a government ministry for 9 months, then with an Indigenous organization for 3 months. They will do important work such as engaging communities, developing policies and programs, managing projects, promoting healthy lifestyles, participating in adjudications and negotiations and conducting research
- Interns are mentored through the year and have opportunities to attend workshops and conferences, take courses and receive career coaching