Work-Able is a 12-month, paid internship with the BC Public Service for recent post-secondary graduates (within the last three years) who self-identify as having a disability. Each year, this unique program provides learning, coaching and mentorship to a group of up to 15 interns.
What do interns gain from participating in Work-Able?
- Public service experience
- Understanding of public service roles in the provincial government
- Increased knowledge and skills
- Mentoring, coaching and support
- Possible future employment opportunities in the provincial government
What does Work-Able provide for supervisors?
- Worksite accessibility assessment
- Help with selecting and hiring qualified Work-Able interns
- Funding for equipment and coordination of available accommodation supports (such as ergonomic desks, software, larger screens, interpretive services)
- Support to develop accommodations for interns who have invisible disabilities (e.g. employee development, cultural safety and coaching)
- Monitoring of program quality and consistency across government
- Direct support to supervisors and mentors throughout internship
- Co-ordination of intern orientation and a thank you ceremony at the end
- Help identifying intern learning needs and performance management
Timelines 2018 – 2019
- March 2018 - April 2018: One posting for multiple positions
- May – August 2018: Screening
- September 2018 – August 2019: All interns hired for paid 12-month internship
To be eligible for this program, you must be
- A recent post-secondary graduate (within three years) with an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution
- An individual who self-identifies as a person with a disability
- A resident of British Columbia
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- A selection committee creates a shortlist from all received applications
- The interview panel includes the ministry hiring manager, Work-Able program lead and others the hiring manager chooses.They interview candidates and make final selection
- Please apply March 2019 for the next Work-Able internship!