Apply for a General Authorization Licence
Before making a decision on the purchase, lease or rental of vehicle(s) learn about passenger transportation licensing safety requirements.
The type of vehicle you operate and the service you plan to provide determine whether you need a general or special authorization licence. Find out which type of passenger transportation licence you need.
Vehicles and services requiring General Authorization must obtain approval from the Registrar of Passenger Transportation.
If the proposed service meets the requirements, the applicant must demonstrate that they have met all the safety requirements before a licence is issued.
You’ll be asked to provide documents for each vehicle you register.
General Authorization Application Documents
Submit the following to apply for a general authorization licence:
- General Authorization Licence Application (PTR5005) (PDF)
Include completed PTR5002: Signing Authority (included in application) with specimen signatures for everyone authorized to correspond with the Registrar of Passenger Transportation and / or Passenger Transportation Board.
- Agent Letter of Authorization
If an agent has been hired to prepare the application, provide a signed letter authorizing the agent to act on your behalf.
- Passenger Service Proposal Statement
The passenger service proposal statement describes the proposed transportation service(s). State the following:
- What is the nature of your business?
- How will the vehicle be used? For example, for sightseeing tours or as a charter bus?
- What size of vehicle will be used? Provide a brief description of the vehicle you plan to use. Include the year, make, model and passenger carrying capacity (excluding the driver).
- What area will you service?
- What type of compensation will you receive? For example, charter, individual fares, flat rates, point to point.
- How will payment be collected?
Once your application has been approved:
- Applicants located outside of B.C.
The application fee is $200 and is non-refundable once an application has been accepted.