Geometric Design Guidelines for B.C. Roads
The following tools have been updated:
Policies, specifications, standards and guidelines to be followed in the development of roads for the highway system in British Columbia.
- Geometric Design Guide For Canadian Roads (TAC)
The latest edition of the Transportation Association of Canada’s guide is the primary source for basic design principles.
- A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets, 6th Edition (AASHTO)
This document is recommended as a secondary reference for basic design principles.
B.C. Supplement to TAC
The B.C. supplement explains the preferred recommended practice for use on British Columbia transportation projects.
- B.C. Supplement to the Transportation Association of Canada Geometric Design Guide for Canadian Roads (2007) (PDF, 25MB, 510 pages - June 29, 2007)
The complete document is a large file and may take some time to download. Individual chapters are available below. This is the original publication and it must be kept current by downloading and inserting new and revised content that is provided under the ‘Updates’ and ‘Technical Bulletins’ links below.
Download updates to maintain compliance with current requirements.
- Technical Bulletins
Learn about new guidelines or instructions that are necessary prior to major updates to the guide.
- Printing Instructions (PDF, 3 pages - July 3, 2007)
The instructions provide information on which pages to print on 8.5x11 inch (letter) or 11x17 inch (tabloid/ledger), single-sided or double-sided, and colour or black and white.
Individual chapters are provided for quicker download and to enable the replacement of individual sections of updated materials as required.
- Front Matter (PDF, 8 pages)
- Table of Contents (PDF, 2 pages - Updated July 4, 2014)
- 100 Highway Design Process (PDF, 1MB, 46 pages - Updated July 4, 2014)
- 200 Classification (No contents at this time)
- 300 Alignment (PDF, 1MB,18 pages)
- 400 Cross Sections (PDF, 4MB, 18 pages)
- 500 Low-Volume Roads (PDF, 1MB, 18 pages)
- 600 Safety Elements (PDF, 2MB, 44 pages)
- 700 Intersections and Access (PDF, 3MB, 40 pages)
- 800 Interchanges Chapter (No contents at this time)
- 900 Auxiliary Facilities (PDF, 34 pages - Updated July 4, 2014)
- 1000 Hydraulics (PDF, 2MB– 54 pages)
- 1100 Railway Crossings & Utilities (PDF, 1MB, 30 pages Updated July 4, 2014)
- 1200 Contracts and Drawings
- 1200 Contracts and Drawings without Figures 1220.A to 1220.R - for printing (PDF, 2MB, 156 pages - Updated July 5, 2011)
- 1200 Contracts and Drawings without Figures 1220.A to 1220.N, and 1220.P to 1220.R - for viewing (PDF, 2MB- 157 pages - Updated July 5, 2011)
- 1200 – 1220 Drawings with Figures 1220.A to 1220.R - All figures 11"x17" (PDF, 2MB, 18 pages - Updated July 5, 2011)
- 1300 Geometric Improvements (PDF, 50 pages)
- 1400 Subdivision Roads (PDF, 26 pages)
- 1500 Alpine Ski Village Roads (PDF, 2MB, 30 pages)