Highway Use Permit - Sidewalks & Landscaping

Local governments and organizations must apply for a highway use permit to install sidewalks or landscaping on or along new or replacement provincial highways. Maintenance must be provided by a local government or an organization registered as a society that can ensure long-term and ongoing maintenance.

Maintenance must be provided by a local taxable authority or an organization that can ensure long-term and ongoing maintenance.

Any landscaping or other improvements must leave clear lines of sight and must not interfere with highway maintenance.


Learn more about the highway use permit application process for works.